[SOLVED] 3 min boot time off NVMe SSD on brand new PC build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Brand new PC build, fresh install of Windows 10. Boot drive is off an NVMe M.2 SSD on a MSI x570-A Pro motherboard.

Getting what looks to be killer read/write speeds off the drive in CrystalDiskMark, do doesn't seem to be an issue there. But booting up the computer sits on the splash screen for about 3 minutes. It's insane. I read a number of threads on this subject where it was requested that the OP record a Windows Performance Toolkit scan, which I did. Here's a link:

https://is.gd/wGs7F3

Any help would be great

Solution
You also have a problem with E drive. I strongly recommend you to replace them both. If you can also share screenshot of the F drive.

By the way E,F,H drives are internal drives. Maybe they are tightly packed. Remove both drives, and buy a high capacity drive instead and do not use more than 2 internal HDD, as the temperature seems high.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
You also have a problem with E drive. I strongly recommend you to replace them both. If you can also share screenshot of the F drive.

By the way E,F,H drives are internal drives. Maybe they are tightly packed. Remove both drives, and buy a high capacity drive instead and do not use more than 2 internal HDD, as the temperature seems high.

Solution

emmajacobwatson

Prominent
May 27, 2018
I tested a new seagate 1tb hdd for my friend. i have a wd black nvme ssd boot drive and it sat on a black screen before the splash screen for my msi z390 for about 3 minutes before hitting the splash screen and taking an additional 2-3 minutes. not sure what was wrong with the drive but i couldn't find it in cmd diskpart or recognized by the computer. when unplugged, or with my 2tb barracuda plugged in the boot time is its usual <10 sec for the nvme ssd
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Mobo - MSI X570-A Pro
GPU - EVGA TRX2060 XC
Memory - G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Boot Drive - Inland 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Here's the screen shot of my F: drive -

CrystalDiskInfo F: drive

So, yes, F, E,H,G, & C are all internal drives. I do video editing professionally, if that matters. I would love to simplify things, but here is how it stands:
C: - is my main boot drive, this is the NVME M.2 drive
E: - is my personal media drive- movies, music, documents, etc. This is a WD Black 1TB - This is the CAUTION drive.
F: - is my active projects drive (video files for editing). This is the critical drive for work. WD Black 4TB - This one is GOOD in CrystalDiskInfo, but the one that is causing 3 min boot time.
G: - is my cache drive - where I put cache files from Adobe programs, etc, I may not need this now. It's a 256GB Crucial SSD.
H: - is my Backup Drive. 8TB Seagate Barracuda. Backs up all of F: and certain folders in E:

In addition, I have a DROBO conected with 21TB of usable space (32TB including redundancy) for project archives (and some backup). Also, various portable drives, including an 1TB SSD for Steam games.

I have tons of extra drives lying around, and would be happy to reconfigure some of the existing drives. I would like to get my active projects drive (currently F:) onto and SSD, but am not in the market to spend $500 to buy a 4TB SSD. I have extra SSD's lying around, and plenty of 6TB & 8TB (5,400RMP) HDD's lying around also.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Here's the screen shot of my F: drive -

CrystalDiskInfo F: drive

So, yes, F, E,H,G, & C are all internal drives. I do video editing professionally, if that matters. I would love to simplify things, but here is how it stands:
C: - is my main boot drive, this is the NVME M.2 drive
E: - is my personal media drive- movies, music, documents, etc. This is a WD Black 1TB - This is the CAUTION drive.
F: - is my active projects drive (video files for editing). This is the critical drive for work. WD Black 4TB - This one is GOOD in CrystalDiskInfo, but the one that is causing 3 min boot time.
G: - is my cache drive - where I put cache files from Adobe programs, etc, I may not need this now. It's a 256GB Crucial SSD.
H: - is my Backup Drive. 8TB Seagate Barracuda. Backs up all of F: and certain folders in E:

In addition, I have a DROBO conected with 21TB of usable space (32TB including redundancy) for project archives (and some backup). Also, various portable drives, including an 1TB SSD for Steam games.

I have tons of extra drives lying around, and would be happy to reconfigure some of the existing drives. I would like to get my active projects drive (currently F:) onto and SSD, but am not in the market to spend $500 to buy a 4TB SSD. I have extra SSD's lying around, and plenty of 6TB & 8TB (5,400RMP) HDD's lying around also.

Here F seems clean. I don't know but maybe you pulled the wrong SATA cable while checking which drive is the reason of the problem. If it is not so then F has undetected issue very likely sooner or later these issues were detected, but it can even fail before that. And E. You should change that anyway. And I don't know how big your case, but your drives are hot. Removing one internal drive and/or adding extra fans recommended.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
By the way, it's definitely the 4TB Western Digital Black. I've narrowed it down to that drive through booting one drive at a time (along with boot drive). I even tried swapping out the SATA cable to see if that could have been an issue.

Going to try to run WD Data Life Guard Diagnostic Extended Test to see results. I already tried it's Quick Test on both of my WD Blacks and they errored part way through!

I also contacted WD directly because I still am under warranty with the 4TB drive. Who knows.

Reactions: Soaptrail

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Ok, so my 4tB WD Black drive is still under warranty, so I contacted WD about a RMA. They said two things, which I was already in the process of doing - first switch out the SATA cable. Done but didn't fix. Second to run an Extended Test using WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics.

It took several days, but the test results show the drive "PASS". What the heck? I'm doubtful that WD will replace the drive, since all tests seem to say the drive is OK.

Is there a chance it's something corrupt on a file level? Like maybe wiping the drive re-formatting? Like MBR or something?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Ok, so my 4tB WD Black drive is still under warranty, so I contacted WD about a RMA. They said two things, which I was already in the process of doing - first switch out the SATA cable. Done but didn't fix. Second to run an Extended Test using WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics.

It took several days, but the test results show the drive "PASS". What the heck? I'm doubtful that WD will replace the drive, since all tests seem to say the drive is OK.

Is there a chance it's something corrupt on a file level? Like maybe wiping the drive re-formatting? Like MBR or something?
Well it is bad.

I have a disk in similar situation, a WD Black 1 TB, that I put in a spare computer, a computer I prepared for my nephew to play games. I cannot use the disk for serious stuff, but also I cannot replace it as it still seems in working condition. The computer only have Steam and Origin games, and no other stuff, and no problem when it fails, after WD's answer its guarantee period expired so it is not a problem if someday it fails.

When will its guarantee period ends? Maybe you can try to fill it data, and erase it then copy data again several times, so it would fail. Maybe.. Worth a try.

But one thing I would not do is to continue to use it again for serious work.

Unfortunately even a few bad values in SMART is not enough for WD for RMA.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
I guess, problem solved. Here is the latest I heard from WD Support:
Based on the information provided, as you are getting error code 02 after running the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, I would like to inform you that the error code 02 means "SMART Attribute Over Threshold". This is the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) threshold exceeded condition. This condition occurs when the device's SMART reliability status indicates an impending degrading or default condition and in this condition we recommend to get the drive replaced.

The drive is still under warrenty, so RMA time.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
I ran Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool. I did a "Quick Test" which errored and didn't complete (on either of my possibly dying WD Black drives) and then did an "Extended Test".... which took like 3 days to complete and.....PASSED. I was pissed. But WD Support told me to re-run the "Quick Test" and give them the error, and I also sent them the CrystalDiskMark results, and above was their response.

BTW, before anyone gets any bad impression of the WD Blacks, I'm supper glad they have a 5 year warranty, as that is whats saving me right now.

Jun 29, 2020
I tested a new seagate 1tb hdd for my friend. i have a wd black nvme ssd boot drive and it sat on a black screen before the splash screen for my msi z390 for about 3 minutes before hitting the splash screen and taking an additional 2-3 minutes. not sure what was wrong with the drive but i couldn't find it in cmd diskpart or recognized by the computer. when unplugged, or with my 2tb barracuda plugged in the boot time is its usual <10 sec for the nvme ssd
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Mobo - MSI X570-A Pro
GPU - EVGA TRX2060 XC
Memory - G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Boot Drive - Inland 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD

I also have wd black and it takes me 2-3 mins booting up mine only hang up at the republic of gamer screen. I have a crosshair formula X570. Can anyone help. I am new to this toms hardware.

Jun 29, 2020
Anyone please help with brand new build. I also have wd black and it takes me 2-3 mins booting up mine only hang up at the republic of gamer screen. I have a crosshair formula X570. Can anyone help. I am new to this toms hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS