3 monitor setup optimization

Xander Carlson

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
I recently purchased a 4k Monitor (ASUS MG28UQ) and i am having trouble getting all of my displays to work.

I have an Acer AL2016W (connected by DVI), the ASUS 4K (connected by HDMI) and a Samsung S20D300 (will be connected through HDMI once I buy a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for the ASUS 4k).

When I boot up my PC I get video on the Acer (DVI) and the ASUS (current HDMI, will be Disport soon) until the PC gets to the "starting windows" screen. Then I get video on just the Acer and "No input" on the ASUS.

I remember having to set a port output hierarchy or some such before but don't recall how to do it/can't find how to do so.

After we hopefully fix the above problem, I get a massive FPS drop whenever playing games fullscreen instead of windowed. I have to resize the game window to about quarter screen size to get at least 30fps, even with lowest detail settings on multiple games (Rocket League, Anthem Demo, WoW, and a few other steam games). As soon as I resize the game window slightly larger, the FPS drop is extremely noticeable, to unplayable levels. The systems monitor (GPU temp/usage, RAM usage, CPU core usage) doesn't indicate i'm over using any of my PCs resources. Is there some fix in the GPU to fix this or would that be else where?

I just want to play games in decent detail with minimal lag but I've tried almost everything with no improvement.

Thank you for reading my ticket. Hope to hear from you soon.

Build:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabretooth 990FX
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: XFX R9 280x
RAM: 16GB
PSU: Corsair HX1000

Xander Carlson

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
UPDATE:
I have connected the monitors as follows:
ASUS 4k: Mini-DisplayPort on R9 to DisplayPort on monitor
ACER: DVI
Samsung: HDMI

I am still encountering a massive drop of framerate when full screening any game I try.