[SOLVED] 3 pin to 4 pin fan adaptor

Jun 21, 2020
hi, my asus case fans are 3 pin and dont fit in my motherboard's fan headers. Do you know where i can get a 3 pin to 4 pin fan adaptor?

Solution
Yes, the BIOS on that board supports both PWM (4 pin) and DC (3 pin) controls. Simply line up the "keyway" on the fan connector with the "key" on the motherboard fan header, then go into the BIOS and set each fan header that has a 3 pin fan connected to it to "DC" mode in the Q-fan control section. I recommend first changing from the EZ mode to the advanced mode when you first go into the BIOS. Then open the Q-fan controls and set up the control type and either select a preset fan curve or set a custom curve for each fan.
What is your motherboard model? Many modern motherboards will support 3 pin fans on their 4 pin headers, and are designed to handle both PWM and DC controlled fans via configuration settings in the BIOS. If your system is five years or less old then there's a good chance you do not need any adapters, besides which, with that type of adapter they would run at full speed anyhow no matter what you did if the board didn't support DC controls on it's 4 pin headers.

Whether they fit or not shouldn't be the question. Whether they are SUPPORTED or not, that is the important question. Without support, they will still work plugged in, but they will run at full speed just the same as if you used an adapter unless the board supports DC controls.

We need to know the model of the motherboard to determine that.

Jun 21, 2020
What is your motherboard model? Many modern motherboards will support 3 pin fans on their 4 pin headers, and are designed to handle both PWM and DC controlled fans via configuration settings in the BIOS. If your system is five years or less old then there's a good chance you do not need any adapters, besides which, with that type of adapter they would run at full speed anyhow no matter what you did if the board didn't support DC controls on it's 4 pin headers.

I am getting an Asus rog strix x570-f mobo but I haven't seen anywhere that the fans would fit. it is arriving tomoz so we will see then.

Yes, the BIOS on that board supports both PWM (4 pin) and DC (3 pin) controls. Simply line up the "keyway" on the fan connector with the "key" on the motherboard fan header, then go into the BIOS and set each fan header that has a 3 pin fan connected to it to "DC" mode in the Q-fan control section. I recommend first changing from the EZ mode to the advanced mode when you first go into the BIOS. Then open the Q-fan controls and set up the control type and either select a preset fan curve or set a custom curve for each fan.

Solution