[SOLVED] $300-600 entry level speakers for computer and/or TV usage

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Budget: $300-$600
Purpose: Enhancing the listening experience with my laptop in my basement. I am willing to spend more if it isn't too difficult or expensive to switch usage between my laptop and TV.

These will be my first speakers, unfortunately purchased online. I want a better experience listening to music and/or the TV because I'm tired of listening to my subpar laptop and TV speakers. The main goal is to improve the sound of my laptop, but I've read that there are methods to connect speakers to a TV as well. Again, if this is not too difficult or expensive, I am willing to spend more. I do not have a preference between wired/wireless, or between bookshelf /floorstanding speakers, or active/passive as long as the entire purchase fits within the budget. Should I look for an amplifier first and speakers that go with it, or pick out speakers first and look for an amplifier that goes well with them? What speakers and amplifier are recommended in a $600 budget? Are there any brands or products I should avoid? Thanks.

Solution
Purpose: Enhancing the listening experience with my laptop in my basement. I am willing to spend more if it isn't too difficult or expensive to switch usage between my laptop and TV.

These will be my first speakers, unfortunately purchased online. I want a better experience listening to music and/or the TV because I'm tired of listening to my subpar laptop and TV speakers. The main goal is to improve the sound of my laptop, but I've read that there are methods to connect speakers to a TV as well. Again, if this is not too difficult or expensive, I am willing to spend more. I do not have a preference between wired/wireless, or between bookshelf /floorstanding speakers, or active/passive as long as the entire...
I have two setups with TVs and PCs and stereos.

This is how I do it.

I use one of the HDMI inputs on the TV for the PC.

Then I come out of the TV with an analog output and go to an amp (an integrated amp)....and then to two speakers....and a subwoofer if you want.

What model TV?

Is an amplifier needed? It will depend on the number of speakers and inputs (and what types) you are after and how loud you want to get, i guess.

I absolutely love my Creative T4 Wireless setup. It's got NFC, Bluetooth, digital (optical), 3.5mm jack, and RCA analog connections. I use it for my TV (firestick), music from my phone, and my 45 year old turntable. It's got excellent reproduction, across the spectrum, with only the bass being a little too punchy over the analog connection. This could be the fault of my preamp and is easily remedied by adjusting the bass directly on the sub.

https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-t4-wireless

These will be my first speakers, unfortunately purchased online. I want a better experience listening to music and/or the TV because I'm tired of listening to my subpar laptop and TV speakers. The main goal is to improve the sound of my laptop, but I've read that there are methods to connect speakers to a TV as well. Again, if this is not too difficult or expensive, I am willing to spend more. I do not have a preference between wired/wireless, or between bookshelf /floorstanding speakers, or active/passive as long as the entire purchase fits within the budget. Should I look for an amplifier first and speakers that go with it, or pick out speakers first and look for an amplifier that goes well with them? What speakers and amplifier are recommended in a $600 budget? Are there any brands or products I should avoid? Thanks.

Going up to $600 is way over entry level, unless you mean entry level for audiophiles LOL

Swan M200 DSP had an optical in you can use with a TV and a standard aux in for the computer along with a remote. Should be plenty for most rooms and quality levels.

At the higher end of your budget the M300 will have a larger headroom with more power and a larger bass driver for more low end.

Both of those are powered, have good reviews for sound quality and design and have all the connectors you need to run both a computer and a TV, in addition to bluetooth so you can play stuff of a phone or wirelessly from the laptop or something else. For an all in one solution without a receiver and 5.1 surround for TV those would be great. Another thing you can do is get a soundbar with a sub and rear speakers, you can run your TV and computer off those, it just needs more placement work to set it up with the sub and rear speakers. I like the Vizio stuff, they are great sounding for the price, and I think sound better than a lot of "higher end" soundbars I have tried out. When I bought mine (used for like $80), I compared the Vizio to several others that were $200-400 range and liked the Vizio best, it was about $200 new and I found a model used near me.

Without the need to have a bunch of HDMI sources and several components hooked up I like the powered speakers or a decent soundbar over a traditional receiver and speaker combo, unless you are setting up a full on listening room with a turntable, CD/DVD player, couch, etc...

Last edited:
Solution

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Going up to $600 is way over entry level, unless you mean entry level for audiophiles LOL

Swan M200 DSP had an optical in you can use with a TV and a standard aux in for the computer along with a remote. Should be plenty for most rooms and quality levels.

At the higher end of your budget the M300 will have a larger headroom with more power and a larger bass driver for more low end.

Both of those are powered, have good reviews for sound quality and design and have all the connectors you need to run both a computer and a TV, in addition to bluetooth so you can play stuff of a phone or wirelessly from the laptop or something else. For an all in one solution without a receiver and 5.1 surround for TV those would be great. Another thing you can do is get a soundbar with a sub and rear speakers, you can run your TV and computer off those, it just needs more placement work to set it up with the sub and rear speakers. I like the Vizio stuff, they are great sounding for the price, and I think sound better than a lot of "higher end" soundbars I have tried out. When I bought mine (used for like $80), I compared the Vizio to several others that were $200-400 range and liked the Vizio best, it was about $200 new and I found a model used near me.

Without the need to have a bunch of HDMI sources and several components hooked up I like the powered speakers or a decent soundbar over a traditional receiver and speaker combo, unless you are setting up a full on listening room with a turntable, CD/DVD player, couch, etc...

Thank you for your recommendations. I will definitely consider them.

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Sorry for the long wait. I have received many suggestions and am attempting to investigate them all. The more I learn, the more confusing and difficult the decision becomes. I have also received reccomendations for a Bluetooth soundbar. Unfortunately, due to the bizarre, idiotic design of my TV stand I am limited to a soundbar smaller than 32". For better or worse I'm open-minded and so I'm interested not only in soundbars but also bookshelf speakers and tower speakers, with or without a subwoofer. To make matters worse, I don't know anything about choosing an amplifier for speakers, which is why I'm partial to powered speakers. Of course, because the subwoofer can be added later I am willing to go without one for now if I find a particularly encouraging set-up.

SWAN 300
https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Speakers-Powered-Bookshelf-Warranty/dp/B07C1TVLDX

Creative T4 Wireless
https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-t4-wireless

JBL Professional Studio Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professional-Next-Generation-Powered-305PMKII/dp/B077NHM2K6?th=1

Adam T5V
https://www.amazon.com/ADAM-Audio-Two-Way-Nearfield-Monitor/dp/B07B6JXBZH

Klipsch The Fives

Klipsch The Sixes

(Unfortunately I've gotten different recommendations from most, however I've also had more recommendations for the Klipsch Fives and Sixes
than any other products)

VIZIO SB2920-C6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMBFZNG?tag=rollingston07-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US

Bose TV Speaker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088KRPCQJ?tag=rollingston07-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US

Sonos Beam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D4734HR?tag=rollingston07-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US

I should have mentioned earlier, the primary usage will be listening to music with my laptop. The ability to use the speakers with my LG OLED 65B7A is a welcome bonus, but not a deal-breaker. In other words, if I can't use the speakers with my TV, it's not a problem. Of course, if there's an adapter to use the speakers with my TV, that is also a welcome idea.

Last edited:
You will just keep getting more and more suggestions, and all are viable, depending on what you feel like you want in your setup. A receiver and speakers may be more flexible but may cost more if you look for options like bluetooth. A powered speaker is good but then you can't play around with different speakers since the amp is built in. Sound bar is about the same as powered speakers, but with most being less good for music and can be less accurate with audio than a good set of powered speakers, but they may offer more in terms or surround rear speakers or sub.

More and more suggestions won't help you much to decide since audio is all personal preference, what people like varies widely. All you will end up doing is being paralyzed by indecision from all the ideas.

You will never just buy one thing and have it be ideal, or even close to your ideal since you need to have experience in listening to 10 or more setups to get a feel for the differences and what you may like to hear. It's like learning a sport, you may like to play baseball but what if you were a natural at skiing but you just never tried it? It's like trying to explain how things taste or feel, there is really no way to understand it fully till you experience it. Whatever you get will be good for you, at least until you experience 10 more things and can pick from those yourself. There are no "bad" things you can pick from among the good products, don't worry about getting the wrong thing, until you listen to a lot of setups it won't matter.

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
You will just keep getting more and more suggestions, and all are viable, depending on what you feel like you want in your setup. ...More and more suggestions won't help you much to decide since audio is all personal preference, what people like varies widely. All you will end up doing is being paralyzed by indecision from all the ideas.

You will never just buy one thing and have it be ideal, or even close to your ideal since you need to have experience in listening to 10 or more setups to get a feel for the differences and what you may like to hear. There are no "bad" things you can pick from among the good products, don't worry about getting the wrong thing, until you listen to a lot of setups it won't matter.

That's good advice. Yes, that's what I was afraid of; as this will be my first pair of speakers I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get ripped off by something over-rated or over-priced. It's comforting to know that it would be difficult to get "bad" speakers. It sounds like there is no such thing as a bad setup, only a different setup tailored to different needs.

chetmaster12

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
Of the speakers you listed, the Adam T5Vs are probably the best option. They're a decent active monitor that doesn't cost a fortune.

I would avoid the Klipsch. The JBL 305 and the Swan being my follow up options.

At this price range, go active unless you're willing to shop used for power amplifiers. There are lots of great used power amps for under $200, but not a whole lot of new ones in that price range that don't suck.

Steven Mal

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Of the speakers you listed, the Adam T5Vs are probably the best option. They're a decent active monitor that doesn't cost a fortune.

I would avoid the Klipsch. The JBL 305 and the Swan being my follow up options.

At this price range, go active unless you're willing to shop used for power amplifiers. There are lots of great used power amps for under $200, but not a whole lot of new ones in that price range that don't suck.

I've gotten more recommendations for the Klipsch Fives than anything else. Why avoid them?