[SOLVED] 300$ for PSU and Motherboard

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Hello, I am picking out an AMD motherboard and a 650W or more PSU but have a strict budget of 300$, preferably towards the 270$ range. The motherboard has to be able to support 3600mhz cl 16 ram, probably g skill. I’m in the US

please help and thank you

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
what cpu do you want/already have??
What gpu do you have??
Also what form factor does your case support?? (whats your case name so i can see what connectivity for the fans you have)
I am building my pc still. Havent ordered any parts. I am using a gigabyte 2070 super, 3700x, and an atx corsair 400c or a lian li lancool 2

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Reactions: Dj0gany
Any particular reason to go with an X570 motherboard?

How about instead:
ASUS TUF B450M-PRO GAMING - $94.99 + $3.99 shipping, NewEgg

CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x CP-9020179-NA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply - $139.98 + $5.99 shipping

While the CXM power supply is acceptalble, the RMx is a much more robust unit with a 10 year warranty. Given the intent to use a 3700x and a 2070 Super, I'd lean more toward the higher quality power supply.
the mobo cuz its really good and stable for overclocking and it supports pcie gen 4.0 so he can upgrade to the next series of the nvidia gpus.I agree with you with the psu,i just reccomended him the cx so he can lean more towards quality

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah. I'd been guessing that this would be something of a gaming-oriented system, and thus, the PCIe 4.0, while nice to have, isn't a must-have. I imagine the Asus TUF on the B450 chipset is also pretty robust for overclocking, but, given how little that Ryzen 3000 series CPUs leave in terms of overclocking room, it's probably not worth the effort.

Ah. I'd been guessing that this would be something of a gaming-oriented system, and thus, the PCIe 4.0, while nice to have, isn't a must-have. I imagine the Asus TUF on the B450 chipset is also pretty robust for overclocking, but, given how little that Ryzen 3000 series CPUs leave in terms of overclocking room, it's probably not worth the effort.
so are you saying that the TUF is or isnt worth it for him?
If not what would you suggest,me quessing is like a b450 or something like that...

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Any particular reason to go with an X570 motherboard?

How about instead:
ASUS TUF B450M-PRO GAMING - $94.99 + $3.99 shipping, NewEgg

CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x CP-9020179-NA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply - $139.98 + $5.99 shipping

While the CXM power supply is acceptalble, the RMx is a much more robust unit with a 10 year warranty. Given the intent to use a 3700x and a 2070 Super, I'd lean more toward the higher quality power supply.
Don’t you think a 650 w would do better and also, not sure if that mother board supports 3600 ram

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Well that makes life a lot easier, that’s all I really need. I can use my common sense to pick a good PSU. Also, a very respectable mod on here said the wraith cooler isn’t good at all. Just want to double check with what it seems like knowledgeable users. Is it really that bad or will I live?
that is true and false.If you are not planning on overclocking or really putting your cpu on stress,the wraith will be fine,but if you want you cpu to be cooled under pressure if would highly suggest this cooler Noctua NH-D15

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
that is true and false.If you are not planning on overclocking or really putting your cpu on stress,the wraith will be fine,but if you want you cpu to be cooled under pressure if would highly suggest this cooler Noctua NH-D15
It seems like something I can order if I feel like I need it. But will live without it

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Don’t you think a 650 w would do better and also, not sure if that mother board supports 3600 ram
The NewEgg page shows:
DDR4 4400(O.C.)/ 3533(O.C.)/ 3466(O.C.)/ 3200(O.C.)/ 3000(O.C.)/ 2800(O.C.)/ 2666/ 2400/ 2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory

Further, this QVL list shows support for 3600 MHz RAM, with various models tested.

I would've gone for a 650W unit, but they were out of stock, and, strangely, about the same price. A lot of PSUs these days seem to be hit or miss with availability.

I only did a search on NewEgg since PCPartPicker seems to also be thrown off by the crazy hit-or-miss availability. I looked at the same PSU right now that I linked to on NewEgg - it was available yesterday, but now today, it says backordered, and "Usually ships within 10 to 15 weeks."

EDIT: the motherboard is now showing out of stock as well. It was in stock yesterday.