Question 300 Watt PSU with GTX 750?

KorKoy

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Hi all,

Recently my PSU broke down, which was a HKC5550 (550watt). A relative of mine brought the pc to a store to get it fixed, and when the pc was returned it appeared the repairman had replaced it with a 300 watt PSU Xilence xp400 ( https://www.xilence.net/en/power-supplies/16 ) Since I live at quite a distance from the repairman, I didn't have the opportunity to raise this question right away. What I would like to know is whether this PSU should work fine with my system, especially since I remember buying the old PSU to specifically meet the demands of my new GPU at the time.

My current system is:
amd athlon ii 2600 (3.2 ghz) if I recall correctly
4 gb RAM
2 different HDDs
1 optical drive
MSI GTX 750

I called the repairman today and he said it shouldn't pose any problem, supposing that the pc is not used for any video games and that I will replace it soon due to it being outdated. The thing is that occassionally video games are played on this system, though they are old ones such as skyrim and far cry 3. so should i return the pc, considering the relatively low wattage and amperage of the new psu, or should it be fine for the time being? I haven't set up and tried the pc since it has returned because I am afraid the repairman will not be willing to refund if I do so.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm not too familiar with that unit, but from what I can see, I think it's being extremely generous to claim that's a "300W" unit.

Athlon II 260, I assume, not 2600?

That's a 65W CPU and a ~55W TDP GPU.
It might be ok.... but I, personally, wouldn't put too much trust into it.

KorKoy

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Hey thanks for your quick reply. Could you please clarify why you think the PSU I linked in the initial post does not even match its own description? Also, is the peak power in the chart of any meaning or is that irrelevant? and what about the 12v rails and amperes? It seems like the repairman i am dealing with is rather stubborn and not willing to admit that the product he has provided me with is insufficient for my computer, so I may have to insist that he change it for another one.
as for the CPU, I don't exactly remember the model, but I haven't had the opportunity to look it up yet in the computer itself.

when the pc was returned it appeared the repairman had replaced it with a 300 watt PSU Xilence xp400 ( https://www.xilence.net/en/power-supplies/16 )

That's not a very good and reliable unit. The Xilence Performance C series PSUs fall under the lowest TIER D category in the PSU hierarchy list. I honestly won't recommend this particular unit to power any gaming rig, even though it might work on your system. This is not very high quality PSU.

These are mostly used in offices and homes. It's just a basic budget 80 PLUS certification.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hey thanks for your quick reply. Could you please clarify why you think the PSU I linked in the initial post does not even match its own description? Also, is the peak power in the chart of any meaning or is that irrelevant? and what about the 12v rails and amperes? It seems like the repairman i am dealing with is rather stubborn and not willing to admit that the product he has provided me with is insufficient for my computer, so I may have to insist that he change it for another one.
as for the CPU, I don't exactly remember the model, but I haven't had the opportunity to look it up yet in the computer itself.

Peak shouldn't even be a consideration.
What a PSU can do, reliably, sustained is what matters.

That's an extremely budget unit, built down to a pricepoint. Very little information available via independent reviews (which is never a good sign) so you're left with only the manufacturer's claimed numbers.
Even the 'big' brand players and OEMs need to have their claims substantiated.

The dual 12V rails indicates a dated platform. On top of that, they will have cut every possible corner in the manufacturing process. 13A on each means they cannot do the combined 13A x2 rails x12V = 312W, as rails do not stack 1:1.
At best, I'd think it might be able to do 20Ax12V = 240W, and that's when it's new. Add a bit of degredation, or perhaps you got a 'refurbished' unit.... and it likely couldn't even do that (if it ever could).

That's not a very good and reliable unit. The Xilence Performance C series PSUs fall under the lowest TIER D category in the PSU hierarchy list. I honestly won't recommend this particular unit to power any gaming rig, even though it might work on your system. This is not very high quality PSU.

These are mostly used in offices and homes. It's just a basic budget 80 PLUS certification.

You might want to link your reference materials there.

I don't disagree with the conclusion, but referencing of any 'tier' list as the sole reason for a decision is functionally flawed.
The few lists that remain (ours has been removed outright) either get ridiculously granular in groupings, or group varying quality units together for no apparent reason - and never get into the nitty gritty as to the 'why', which is what matters.
If memory serves, LTT at one point had a SeaSonic S12II lumped into whatever they call their "don't buy" category with all the fire hazard brands :ROFLMAO:

As an aside, any "tier" list even worth a quick glance should be referencing it's sourced. Most would refer to JonnyGuru's database, which has been borked for months. No data to be found.

As for the "basic budget 80Plus certification", that's a measure of efficiency, not of quality.
Typically yes, a manufacturer who skipped on the certification either has something to hide, or has built the unit down to a given price that they cannot afford to submit for certification (or both), but it shouldn't be a deciding factor unless you reside in a country with particularly expensive electricity costs.

It has one +12 RAIL rated for 13AMP. It's little weak in terms of power as well.

According to the datasheet, it has dual 13A 12V rails. However, it does not state the combined 12V output. Given dual rails, it'll be >13A and <26A, probably in the 20A range... at least in theory. Whether I would trust it to reliably do so is another question alltogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.