[SOLVED] 3000 vs 3600mhz Overclocking

silliconcrayon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012
Well I'm planing to overclock my system to the extreme , intel i9 10900k and asus strix gaming e z490 motehrboard.

So is there any point buying 3600mhz or should i buy 3000 , what's the difference ?

PS: Also please suggest whether 4 stick be better or 2 sticks ? total ram would be 64 GB so should i go with 32x2 pr 16x4 ? also possible suggest a good motherboard in the same budget as of asus

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
To answer your question in short. The more the better, but a higher frequency memory is partially responsible for gaining performance at the same time your Column Address Strobe (CAS) also has a major role to play as well. The lower the latency the better. I will pick 3600mhz CAS 16 which offers a better value.

Better you use all 4 lanes.

Dont use all 4, use 2x32gb. 4 dimms puts extra load on the memory controller and you are more likely to have stability issues at higher frequencies.

There are no guarantees with overclocking. If you are unlucky neither 3200 or 3600mhz RAM will overclock to 4000. The 3600mhz should give you a better chance. My own 2x16gb 3200mhz can overclock to 3733mhz but I backed it off to 3600mhz as the...

ben001

Distinguished
So is there any point buying 3600mhz or should i buy 3000, what's the difference?
To answer your question in short. The more the better, but a higher frequency memory is partially responsible for gaining performance at the same time your Column Address Strobe (CAS) also has a major role to play as well. The lower the latency the better. I will pick 3600mhz CAS 16 which offers a better value.

Also please suggest whether 4 stick be better or 2 sticks ? total ram would be 64 GB so should i go with 32x2 pr 16x4 ? also possible suggest a good motherboard in the same budget as of asus

Dont use all 4, use 2x32gb. 4 dimms puts extra load on the memory controller and you are more likely to have stability issues at higher frequencies.

There are no guarantees with overclocking. If you are unlucky neither 3200 or 3600mhz RAM will overclock to 4000. The 3600mhz should give you a better chance. My own 2x16gb 3200mhz can overclock to 3733mhz but I backed it off to 3600mhz as the performance difference was undetectable and I could run a lower voltage.

This seems to be an exercise of overclocking for the sake of it. For mainly gaming at 4K the 10900k is already massively over the top and the RAM speed will make no real world difference, only in benchmarks. If you were trying to push very high fps at a low resolution then you might have seen some real world benefits.

Reactions: silliconcrayon
Solution

silliconcrayon

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2012

There are no guarantees with overclocking. If you are unlucky neither 3200 or 3600mhz RAM will overclock to 4000. The 3600mhz should give you a better chance. My own 2x16gb 3200mhz can overclock to 3733mhz but I backed it off to 3600mhz as the performance difference was undetectable and I could run a lower voltage.

This seems to be an exercise of overclocking for the sake of it. For mainly gaming at 4K the 10900k is already massively over the top and the RAM speed will make no real world difference, only in benchmarks. If you were trying to push very high fps at a low resolution then you might have seen some real world benefits.
Yeah mate i was wondering since it's a chance let's say both doesn hit 4000ish blah ... It's wiser to buy 3200 and oc it to 3600 ? Right ? ...i would save me few bucks ? Ain't that ? And yeah i mean 3600 would be enough for gaming am just wondering what else can i get from 4000 in case i get it ... it's not what i plan ..but if it goes I won't put a brake on it. So i think should go with 3200 right ?

Yeah mate i was wondering since it's a chance let's say both doesn hit 4000ish blah ... It's wiser to buy 3200 and oc it to 3600 ? Right ? ...i would save me few bucks ? Ain't that ? And yeah i mean 3600 would be enough for gaming am just wondering what else can i get from 4000 in case i get it ... it's not what i plan ..but if it goes I won't put a brake on it. So i think should go with 3200 right ?
3200mhz is probably the sensible budget orientated choice if 3600mhz is materially more expensive (assuming all other timings are the same). However a 10900k and the required high end motherboard and cooling are not budget oriented choices that will provide no benefit at 4K gaming over a 10700k.

ben001

Distinguished

Buying 4-kit memory comes with a pack (matched pairs) will not cause a problem unless your purchase is done separately. Rather, they can offer good performance in both gaming and rendering, also depend on the quality of the motherboard as well. Since I will have no plans to overclock which can itself reduce the lifespan of RAM. So, 16gbx4, I see no problem here. Not fully agreed. :)

Buying 4-kit memory comes with a pack (matched pairs) will not cause a problem unless your purchase is done separately. Rather, they can offer good performance in both gaming and rendering, also depend on the quality of the motherboard as well. Since I will have no plans to overclock which can itself reduce the lifespan of RAM. So, 16gbx4, I see no problem here. Not fully agreed. :)
Check they are on the motherboard QVL. Normally 4 DIMM kits on the QVL top out at a lower speed. This has nothing to do with the kits themselves but how the cpu memory controller manages 4 dimms vs 2. You might be fine but 4 dimms at higher speeds has a greater chance of issues.

ben001

Distinguished
But, these memory kits come from the same vendor and part number, also they come tested by the manufacturer to ensure the stability and performance are optimal before it reaches the consumers. I think it's completely safe and there's a reason why they are sold together. Yes, using 2 memory modules is favorable in many cases & performs well.