Question 3070 causing monitor to bootloop

Feb 13, 2023
About 2 week or so back i help my friend build his pc We built it at my place and before he left i showed him how to install the gpu tested the pc worked fine and then removed it for transport so i doubt the mb or card was damaged in transport. When he get home he installs the card and immediately started having issues with his monitor bootlooping and when he can get them to temporarily work just really poor performance hardware monitor is only showing it running at 420mhz i come over the next day and we try everything receding all components check all cables different monitor with different cables and output everything then we try an old card the old card work perfectly not a single issue so i tell him to send in his new card to get rma yesterday he got a brand new 3070 in the mail installs it making sure to take his time doing everything right and same problem im starting to think some else is at play but im at my wits end

System:
R9 5900x
MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK
Evga 3070
1000w evga power supply
970 evo m.2 boot drive
32gb of ram

Often I'd think of the power supply under those circumstances, but I also think of BIOS settings. Whenever you turn off the system and unplug it, the CMOS has to depend on the battery. Sometimes this is from a marginal battery which works at times, but at other times, is essentially a "brownout" whereby supplied power to the CMOS is marginal. If you can't try a different power supply (and in fact if line voltage is higher at your home than his, the line voltage might be part of power supply issues), then poke around in the BIOS and see if anything changed. Remember where settings are at, e.g., RAM or boot settings, and perhaps reset BIOS to defaults and bring the settings back in one at a time (if these are altered or corrupted due to a low battery, then it will happen again, but perhaps not until line voltage is gone).

Feb 13, 2023
Often I'd think of the power supply under those circumstances, but I also think of BIOS settings. Whenever you turn off the system and unplug it, the CMOS has to depend on the battery. Sometimes this is from a marginal battery which works at times, but at other times, is essentially a "brownout" whereby supplied power to the CMOS is marginal. If you can't try a different power supply (and in fact if line voltage is higher at your home than his, the line voltage might be part of power supply issues), then poke around in the BIOS and see if anything changed. Remember where settings are at, e.g., RAM or boot settings, and perhaps reset BIOS to defaults and bring the settings back in one at a time (if these are altered or corrupted due to a low battery, then it will happen again, but perhaps not until line voltage is gone).

Tomorrow we are going to try taking the pc back to my place and to see if the outlet at his apartment just dont supply enough power and while we are there im try putting the card in my pc as well to see if it work there, we already try resetting bios but havent touched the cmos yet

Well, it appears that this replacement card is defective too. If this problem was caused by anything else, no other GPU would work either. The fact that the old GPU works tells me that it's the card that's the problem.

All monitors are compatible with all video cards so there's no reason that this one would work with an older card but not a newer card unless you're having a driver issue.