Question 3080 beeping noise on start up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Souzou

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I have been trying all day to solve this mistery.

As soon as I connect the card, the computer does 4 short beeps then proceeds to load as usual. It works fine, no crashes, no poor performance, temps are fine, everything seems fine. It's just the 4 beeps that annoy/worry me.

I have a 7700k 16GB RAM, 2 SSD and 3 old HDD plus the card on a Corsair RM650x and I use two separate PCIE 8pin cables for the gpu. I know, it must be the PSU right? They recommend 750W. The thing is it still happens with a 850W PSU.

The beep code from Gigabyte (my mobo ga-z270-hd3p) say "4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction " which makes no sense (clock in BIOS is fine). Everything seems fine on the BIOS. I have tried resetting it and as soon as I remove the card the beeping goes away.

So far I've tried:

Reset BIOS.
Resettling the RAM.
Changing PCIE cables.
Another PSU (850w).
Resettling GPU.

I was thinking it might have something to do with my mobo being gen 3 PCiE instead of gen 4? As if my mobo didn't fully recognize it or was warning me about it.

As I said the card works fine and there's 0 issues playing games or whatever. I just want to solve the mistery and know if I have to consider getting a replacement.

Sep 21, 2020
Any solution for the beeps problem?
I have same issue with my graphic card.
4 beeps at start and then everything fine.
No problems with DP or hdmi.

MSI Z370
RM650x
I7 8700k

Gigabyte 3080 gaming OC

Try disabling fast boot, and make sure a quick RAM test is enabled, which might give the card an added few seconds of init/self-test time)?

Maybe this card takes a tad longer to run an internal self-test , which might sill be running as the Z270 is then already looking for a graphics adapter....

In which case, you will just learn to like the 4 beeps....

Reactions: RtxOmbre
Sep 21, 2020
Try disabling fast boot, and make sure a quick RAM test is enabled, which might give the card an added few seconds of init/self-test time)?

Maybe this card takes a tad longer to run an internal self-test , which might sill be running as the Z270 is then already looking for a graphics adapter....

In which case, you will just learn to like the 4 beeps....

I called the store and an employee told me they know the problem and probably the ddr6x is not compatible with the motherboard. Wait for the bios update.

Sep 24, 2020
Not sure if this is everyone's case but i had the same issue. While searching i found one that mentioned CMS which is a legacy mode in this bios.

Seems like these cards do not like it and just want UEFI boot mode.

The main problem is that CMS is enabled by default thus when you install the OS you don't even notice.

To work out if that is your issue just type msinfo32.exe into (windows key + R) and look next to BIOS Mode if it says Legacy and not UEFI this might be your problem like it was mine

EDIT: Try disabling CMS mode in Bios and the beeping should stop.

Sep 19, 2020
Not sure if this is everyone's case but i had the same issue. While searching i found one that mentioned CMS which is a legacy mode in this bios.

The main problem is that CMS is enabled by default thus when you install the OS you don't even notice.

To work out if that is your issue just type msinfo32.exe into (windows key + R) and look next to BIOS Mode if it says Legacy and not UEFI this might be your problem like it was mine

wow thanks for the tip

i just reinstall my window 10 with uefi mode
also turn off CSM option
and then my beep sound became normal

Oct 16, 2020

Amazing tip right here, I recently got a 3080 and not only the beeping was driving me insane every time on startup but demanding games would hard crash and restart my system, this solved both of those issues. Thank you!

My build:
CPU: i7-5820k
MB: Asus Rampage V Extreme
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 2400
GPU: Asus Rog Strix 3080 OC 10gb
PSU: EVGA Supernova GA 850w
(Upgrading my CPU once the new Ryzen gen releases and if it reviews positively)

Reactions: MRsminns
Nov 4, 2020
I have the same issue with my MSI 3070 Gaming X Trio. There is another thread of 3070 users that are having this same problem. One user found that disabling CSM in BIOS stopped the four beeps. This worked for me, however I cannot boot from my NVME without CSM enabled so not fixed. Maybe give that a shot and see if it works for you.

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
This problem cost me an entire Saturday. The CSM fix worked for me and doesn't seem to have any ill effects. I was 2 seconds away from RMAing my 3080 Strix, and ASUS support was zero, I mean, zero help.

Nov 11, 2020
Thanks guys Just had the same issue with my 3090FE and Asus Max Hero X and 8086k a quick 4 or 5 beep and then kept asking me to load previous config when going in to the bios.
Disabling CSM fixed the issue thanks for your tip!

Nov 13, 2020
Guys, i have the same problem with a RTX3090. I also have returned a Strix3090 before , because i thought this think was DOA. I tried everything like you guys, and now i saw the posting regarding CSM. I will try this today and i hope it will work also. Thanks to this idea..!

Bastard2k

Prominent
Feb 18, 2020
wow. same issue on my gigabyte 390z... 4 short beeps or one slightly longer beep followed by three shorts.. im not really sure. they sound like 4 short beeps to me anyhow. This is a non-overclocked EVGA base 3080 and ive got a good 750w power supply feeding it.. NO issues whatsoever playing games and running the card hard in benchmarks etc. I have had it drawing 320 watts no issues. If i slap my 1080 card back in, no annoying beeps.

edit: and yes, disable CSM and the problem went away.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023
Almost the same situation: 1 long beep, 4 time short.
The issue started after replacing the GPU.

GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition (2021)
Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V B3 (2011)
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500WATT

It only happens when the pc does a warm reset.
A cold-boot goes fine each time.
Annoying when installing windows updates with a reboot.

I did not had this issue with a previous GPU: Asus Radeon RX 560 4GB
As the mainboard is old compared to the GPU, I'll take it as it works.

USAFRet

Titan
Almost the same situation: 1 long beep, 4 time short.
The issue started after replacing the GPU.

GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition (2021)
Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V B3 (2011)
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500WATT

It only happens when the pc does a warm reset.
A cold-boot goes fine each time.
Annoying when installing windows updates with a reboot.

I did not had this issue with a previous GPU: Asus Radeon RX 560 4GB
As the mainboard is old compared to the GPU, I'll take it as it works.
If desired, please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
This one is OLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.