[SOLVED] 3080 Founders Edition or Third Party?

Iso4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
I'm looking to upgrade my old 1080 to a 3080 as soon as they launch later this month. Should I try to pick up a founders edition card, or a third party? Are there any benefits to going one route or the other?

Solution
Well, usually you get higher clock rates and better cooling on the third party cards. But this time it would be probably a good idea to wait for reviews and comparisons. This is the first time Nvidia's founders edition is not using the Nvidia reference board design and they also use complete new and innovative cooling solutions. Board partners will use their custom board designs (at least on their top models), and their custom cooling solutions (up to three slot designs).

I think the top board partner models will probably perform better (pure speculations), but the Nvidia FE cards were not the best cards in the past, even so they got better.

I personally will go with the RTX 3080 MSI Gaming Trio or Asus Rog Stirx, which will be an...
I'm looking to upgrade my old 1080 to a 3080 as soon as they launch later this month. Should I try to pick up a founders edition card, or a third party? Are there any benefits to going one route or the other?
Third party willl offer you a plethora of choices, so you might want to wait until the cards are out and there are reviews available .
That way you could select the one that's the best match for you and your setup.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Also Founders Edition will be expensive as will vendors renditions as well. You can forget the pricing nVidia gave that is nonsense. Your going to have vendors with overclock editions and you will end up paying 300 or 500 more then what nVidia stated especially during these times with covid-19 and what not.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Well, usually you get higher clock rates and better cooling on the third party cards. But this time it would be probably a good idea to wait for reviews and comparisons. This is the first time Nvidia's founders edition is not using the Nvidia reference board design and they also use complete new and innovative cooling solutions. Board partners will use their custom board designs (at least on their top models), and their custom cooling solutions (up to three slot designs).

I think the top board partner models will probably perform better (pure speculations), but the Nvidia FE cards were not the best cards in the past, even so they got better.

I personally will go with the RTX 3080 MSI Gaming Trio or Asus Rog Stirx, which will be an overclocked version with a massive cooler. I expect those cards to cost around $830 to $850.

Nvidias FE 3080 will be $699. No price changes there....

Solution

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Also Founders Edition will be expensive as will vendors renditions as well. You can forget the pricing nVidia gave that is nonsense. Your going to have vendors with overclock editions and you will end up paying 300 or 500 more then what nVidia stated especially during these times with covid-19 and what not.

I don't think it will be $300 or $500 more. ASUS already announced that their price will be closely guided by Nvidia's recommendations. But yes, something like a 3080 ASUS ROG STRIX will probably run a little higher....I expect it to be around $800 to 850.

Call me an MSI fanboi, but i've been rocking a gtx 980 for 7 years or so now, 0 problems, overclocked too, so ill be going MSI as soon as available, plus, all the 3rd party vendors are going with the traditional 8 pin connector, so no adapters.

The would be plus side of FE editions are better binned chips, but who knows... I say 3rd party

Definitely not the case in the UK. Several 3rd party versions listed at NVidia’s RRP https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-3080?sSort=3

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Once you adjust for VAT and FX which are not in NVidia’s or retailers control the prices are effectively the same.
I understand but at the end of the day other countries are paying 200 or 300 dollars more for any technology that is this big. You guys pay more for everything. So in US dollar what your paying is probably about 300 or 400 more then the US Dollar MSRP ya know. ✌♻😲✝