[SOLVED] 3080 Ti and My PSU !!!

Connor P

Prominent
Jun 26, 2021
Hey all

So I have recently got my hands on an RTX 3080 Ti, the GPU works great however when I'm playing a demanding game the Power supply seems to make a strange electrical sound and boost the PSU fan to 100% it seems. I have done some research and I think it's coil whine.

The power supply I have is a Corsair CXM 850W and it's over 2 years old, the power supply was not making this sound when I had my previous card which was a GTX 1080, so I know it's a pretty significant upgrade.

So my question is should I consider buying a new PSU like a 1000W or see if I can diagnose the problem myself.

Here is My Build:
CPU: i9-9900K
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ti Gaming x Trio
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200
PSU: Corsair CXM 850 W 80+ Bronze
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 D

Solution
Thank you guys for the quick reply. i will have a look at buying the ones you have suggested. It would be okay though if I were to get the same brand but a 1000w right?

Absolutely. People (used to at least) keep saying "no normal person will need more than xxx watts" and then more powerful and power-hungry CPUs and GPUs kept getting released. I remember before the RTX 3000 cards came out lots of people were saying 650 watts is enough for most use cases, and now a lot of those people have had to upgrade to 750 watt + units. I personally decided I didn't want to play the PSU upgrade game more than once, so I bought a Corsair AX1000 PSU knowing that I won't have to worry about it for a good 10 years or so.

Connor P

Prominent
Jun 26, 2021
Thank you guys for the quick reply. i will have a look at buying the ones you have suggested. It would be okay though if I were to get the same brand but a 1000w right?

Absolutely. People (used to at least) keep saying "no normal person will need more than xxx watts" and then more powerful and power-hungry CPUs and GPUs kept getting released. I remember before the RTX 3000 cards came out lots of people were saying 650 watts is enough for most use cases, and now a lot of those people have had to upgrade to 750 watt + units. I personally decided I didn't want to play the PSU upgrade game more than once, so I bought a Corsair AX1000 PSU knowing that I won't have to worry about it for a good 10 years or so.

Solution