Question PC Underperforming?

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
I've had my 3080 for a little over 4 months now, and i must say I'm not as blown away as i thought i would be. Looking at benchmarks from other people with similar builds makes me realize that my rig might be underperforming. In certain games like far cry 6 I dont expect much since ubisoft games usually arent well optimized for PC, but for others im usually sitting 40+ FPS under other peoples 1% lows. For example in my most recent session of Far Cry 6 i recorded an average 70+ FPS or so at 1440p ultra settings with HD textures, while others reported up to 110fps+ average. My GPU and CPU are almost always sitting around 40-50% usage as well. Is there something Im missing here?

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (PBO ON, 4.05 Clock)
CoolerMaster ML360R AIO
ASUS ROG STRIX X570 GAMING-F
TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB 3600MHz CL16
ASUS TUF 3080 OC
7 Total case fans (three in front with radiator, three on top for exhaust, 1 in back for exhaust)
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1 TB
Samsung 860 EVO SSD 1 TB
Corsair RMx (2018) 750W PSU

Any response welcome!

EDIT 1: Updated my bios and was rewarded with a mild performance increase, but nothing close to what most people are experiencing with my hardware.

Last edited:
I have a very similar setup, 3700x, 3080 and 32gb (2x16gb 3200mhz CL16 oc’d to 3600mhz). Now I don’t have Far Cry 6 but the whole setup performs very well at 1440p I know I could get a few more FPS with a cpu upgrade but it’s not going to make any difference to the gaming experience.

Anyway let try and figure out what is wrong as it should be a good setup. Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
I have a very similar setup, 3700x, 3080 and 32gb (2x16gb 3200mhz CL16 oc’d to 3600mhz). Now I don’t have Far Cry 6 but the whole setup performs very well at 1440p I know I could get a few more FPS with a cpu upgrade but it’s not going to make any difference to the gaming experience.

Anyway let try and figure out what is wrong as it should be a good setup. Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

It seems to fail repeatedly. It gets to the skillbench part then sits at "waiting for final batch of sustained writes" until it fails. It says im missing my GPU :confused_old:

He means this, installing the software drivers: Nvidia drivers
Driver software is responsible for making the device talk to your system efficiently and configure settings, etc. It's always recommended to run the latest drivers/update them to get the best performance.

BIOS can mean 2 things
BIOS is from the motherboard. Don't flash the motherboard BIOS unless its absolutely necessary.
BIOS can also mean the firmware on your GPU. Don't update it as well unless absolutely necessary or you may brick your GPU.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
He means this, installing the software drivers: Nvidia drivers
Driver software is responsible for making the device talk to your system efficiently and configure settings, etc. It's always recommended to run the latest drivers/update them to get the best performance.

BIOS can mean 2 things
BIOS is from the motherboard. Don't flash the motherboard BIOS unless its absolutely necessary.
BIOS can also mean the firmware on your GPU. Don't update it as well unless absolutely necessary or you may brick your GPU.
Yeah i used geforce experience to update my drivers, theyre up to date. In terms of the bios, I just saw another guy that was having issues with his 3070, and he updated his MoBo Bios, which i havent done in a year or so. Im not sure if that would solve the issue, what do you think

If you fail the BIOS update on your motherboard for any reason (i.e. wrong BIOS file used, wrong step in the BIOS updating procedure, power outage, etc.), you can brick your motherboard and must reflash it to a working BIOS again.

Im not sure if that would solve the issue

You can try, but I can't guarantee it will solve the issue and I do not condone it. Even for a GPU issue, I wouldn't recommend or suggest updating your motherboard BIOS for it.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
If you fail the BIOS update on your motherboard for any reason (i.e. wrong BIOS file used, wrong step in the BIOS updating procedure, power outage, etc.), you can brick your motherboard and must reflash it to a working BIOS again.

You can try, but I can't guarantee it will solve the issue and I do not condone it. Even for a GPU issue, I wouldn't recommend or suggest updating your motherboard BIOS for it.
Im open to other ideas :)

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017

View: https://imgur.com/a/fGyZrhq

heres my time spy result

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
Something is wrong. At this point I’d try a fresh install of Windows to try and rule a software problem. If the gpu is not being detected by userbenchmark that is another sign something is wrong.
It gets to the "waiting for final sustained writes", then counts down and finishes. My GPU pops up everywhere else, including 3DMark

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Settings. You assume the others have the exact same settings as you do yet you get lower fps. They might have DLSS enabled, or ReBar, or RT disabled or you might be running through GeForce Experience optimized settings (that's visual quality, not fps performance), there's a bunch of settings like Anti aliasing they might have turned down, hair works turned off, pre-rendered frames set to 1 (your default is 3).

They could be using the game direct from nvme, on a 980 Pro, might have used dram calculator to optimize ram and fclock speeds, might have tuned their pc to racing status while you are mostly stock.

You don't know. Nobody does. Nobody has the exact same setup, even with similar equipment. You might be judging by Tomb Raider Village, which is heavy on cpu, while they are posting Tomb Raider fps based on an entirely different map.

In order to have for certain a definitive argument that your pc is underperforming vs others, you'd need to have the exact same settings, software, pc.

Fps doesn't matter. The only thing of any real value is if the game plays acceptably for you. Comparing your fps to others is pointless, futile. If you feel you could get more, that's different entirely, and then look into what will get you more. How to streamline your pc, how to get it to racing status and not stock. How to and what to disable or enable, what to use, what not to.

Someone else getting more fps just mean that it's possible to get more, not that it's probable you should have more. You assume there is something wrong, yet reality is that there's most like nothing wrong, someone else is just doing it better.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
Settings. You assume the others have the exact same settings as you do yet you get lower fps. They might have DLSS enabled, or ReBar, or RT disabled or you might be running through GeForce Experience optimized settings (that's visual quality, not fps performance), there's a bunch of settings like Anti aliasing they might have turned down, hair works turned off, pre-rendered frames set to 1 (your default is 3).

They could be using the game direct from nvme, on a 980 Pro, might have used dram calculator to optimize ram and fclock speeds, might have tuned their pc to racing status while you are mostly stock.

You don't know. Nobody does. Nobody has the exact same setup, even with similar equipment. You might be judging by Tomb Raider Village, which is heavy on cpu, while they are posting Tomb Raider fps based on an entirely different map.

In order to have for certain a definitive argument that your pc is underperforming vs others, you'd need to have the exact same settings, software, pc.

Fps doesn't matter. The only thing of any real value is if the game plays acceptably for you. Comparing your fps to others is pointless, futile. If you feel you could get more, that's different entirely, and then look into what will get you more. How to streamline your pc, how to get it to racing status and not stock. How to and what to disable or enable, what to use, what not to.

Someone else getting more fps just mean that it's possible to get more, not that it's probable you should have more.
I get that, but ive spent quite a bit of time fiddling with settings to get the most out of my setup, including ReBar, small overclocks and such, and it just doesnt feel like much, especially from what most people would consider a very high end PC. I might be completely out of it here but i just expected more than 80 fps at 1440p.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In 3DMark TimeSpy, a DX12 benchmark, the RTX 3080 scores 15,065 points
Your graphics score was 17,828.
On reddit, ppl are pulling low-mid 18k graphics after much tweaking and OC.

Fps is different. That's a responsibility of the CPU, not the gpu. The gpu can only reproduce what the cpu gives it. A single setting, like hair works, can tank your fps.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericwalter98

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017

Your graphics score was 17,828.
On reddit, ppl are pulling low-mid 18k graphics after much tweaking and OC.

Fps is different. That's a responsibility of the CPU, not the gpu. The gpu can only reproduce what the cpu gives it. A single setting, like hair works, can tank your fps.
so what, im due for an upgrade?
😅
EDIT: not trying to sound ungrateful or sarcastic

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Xmp is Intel eXtreme Memory Profile, and that name and the XMP rights are copyrighted and owned solely by Intel. Asus chose not to argue (or pay for permission to use that) so uses DOCP as the technical term for the almost identical use of XMP, which namely means a set overclock written to the ram speeds and timings.

Everyone calls it a potato, Asus calls it a spud. On AMD motherboards.

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
If you did not enable DOCP after you updated the BIOS then your memory is probably running 2133 instead of the advertised speed, that will kill your performance.

DOCP is what Asus calls XMP on their AMD boards.
I have it enabled, my RAM is running at 3600MHz, made sure to double check after the bios update

alexswede

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
Xmp is Intel eXtreme Memory Profile, and that name and the XMP rights are copyrighted and owned solely by Intel. Asus chose not to argue (or pay for permission to use that) so uses DOCP as the technical term for the almost identical use of XMP, which namely means a set overclock written to the ram speeds and timings.

Everyone calls it a potato, Asus calls it a spud. On AMD motherboards.
Any idea why my GPU isnt showing up on userbenchmark? It gets to "waiting for final sustained writes" then counts down to zero and continues without the GPU