[SOLVED] 3090 bottleneck.

Jan 19, 2021
So I posted a question a few days ago about low usage with my 3090. I was gathering the low usage numbers from NZXT cam/and my kraken display. Turns out, I think my kraken is displaying my temps correctly, but not the usage. At least not in games. Cam displayed high gpu usage during benchmarks, but displayed 5% or lower in game, which I would imagine can’t be accurate.

further investigations are leading my to believe, somehow I’m having a GPU bottleneck. MSI afterburner is displaying 90% and up during gameplay, but hovering in the 30% range for CPU. This would be indicative of a GPU bottle neck right? If so, how would a 3090 bottle neck a 9900k?

Solution
Benchmark software and game engines per game is different. One is written with the intention to draw every available power out for performance and statistics. The other is an optimized software ensuring that it can run on tens of different hardware combinations.

You can't expect 3D Pinball to be running at 100% GPU usage because it's a game. There are elements in a benchmarking software that is not present in a AAA game, hence the lower GPU usage.

If anything you're bottlenecked <2% or even less and you're missing 1FPS on average -- that's not really anything you have to worry about. 9900K is high end, 3090 is high end.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Benchmark software and game engines per game is different. One is written with the intention to draw every available power out for performance and statistics. The other is an optimized software ensuring that it can run on tens of different hardware combinations.

You can't expect 3D Pinball to be running at 100% GPU usage because it's a game. There are elements in a benchmarking software that is not present in a AAA game, hence the lower GPU usage.

If anything you're bottlenecked <2% or even less and you're missing 1FPS on average -- that's not really anything you have to worry about. 9900K is high end, 3090 is high end.

Solution
Jan 19, 2021

Well one thing I also forgot to mention is I’m am also experiencing significantly lower FPS in game than I was with my 2080S. On any game I play. Doom eternal for example I was locked in at 165fps with my 2080S, and with my 3090 I’m getting 70-90.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
I don’t believe I can do a DDU considering it was a new install and there are no drivers to roll back to
Yes. You can do DDU. Your monitor will just revert to 1080p or 720p.

Make sure to manually download the driver beforehand and unplug the ethernet cable/disconnect-from-net so Win10 can't download and install the driver itself.

The point of DDU is to wiiiiipe the crap out of your Program Files, regedit, and hidden driver files that can mess with your new card.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well one thing I also forgot to mention is I’m am also experiencing significantly lower FPS in game than I was with my 2080S. On any game I play

Do benchmarks run fine? Think you said they do?

If frequencies and temps are good then most likely this is more software oriented.

Geforce driver & game optimisation / tweaks to rectify any issues most likely. Followed by removal of any diagnostic tools, sometimes they cause problems.

Look towards specific game related issues with Nvidia's latest cards and perhaps try an older driver.

Jan 19, 2021

Make sure to manually download the driver beforehand and unplug the ethernet cable/disconnect-from-net so Win10 can't download and install the driver itself.

The point of DDU is to wiiiiipe the crap out of your Program Files, regedit, and hidden driver files that can mess with your new card.
Man sounds a little out of my comfort zone lol

Jan 19, 2021

So should I download whatever driver nvidia says is the latest for my gpu from their site? I would imagine it’s probably the same latest one from GeForce experience, but yea you can’t download the file from there.
Id love to give it a shot but now im trying to download the driver but getting network errors, buuuuut i have an internet connection. wtf lol