[SOLVED] 3090 not responding after shutting off playing Forza

johnnyp26

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. Build specs below but I think my new 3090 has died. I loaded up Forza Horizon 5 yesterday afternoon and ran the in-game benchmark. I adjusted a few settings including the resolution to the highest settings. The game ran absolutely beautifully for about 20 mins and then my screen went black and all the fans spiked up to what I believe was max speed. I turned the computer off, gave it a minute and turned it back on, appeared to boot up just fine but I have no video signal. I tried all displayport and hdmi outputs and all inputs on my monitor using two different cables with no luck. The monitor seems to get some sort of signal as it doesn't show the graphic of what input it is currently set to when I turn the PC on. Any advice on how to troubleshoot? I've had the build for about 5 months and use it daily for my business but this was only the second time I've gamed on it, pretty disappointed given I paid an obscene amount for the GPU. I'm a novice currently with computer builds as I've been console gaming the last 20 years, so I have no idea where to start to troubleshoot. The monitor is functioning fine currently as I am using it with my laptop now. Thanks in advance.

RTX 3090
Ryzen 5900X
Seasonic GX-1000 psu
Kingston SSD A2000 M.2
Gigabyte X570 mobo
Samsung Oddessy G9 monitor

Solution
That would be ironic since I avoided playing New World so as to not kill the GPU. I haven't cleared CMOS yet, I will start there and report back.

Just because New World was the game that got most "negative" press, is not the only software that produce such a sad outcome on this new high end GPUs (specially RTX 3090/3080TI/3080).

And yes try what Phaaze88 wrote first. I sometimes forget about some "basic/easy" stuff... my bad :)

johnnyp26

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Is this a FE RTX 3090?

If not whats the full model name?

If you happend to have extra GPU, and you know how, I would install the extra one and see if it post and load windows.

Sorry about that, here is the full model info. My son has an older build that I could pull out and pull the GPU from to see what happens, just wasn't sure if that was the best course of action yet.

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3090 DirectX 12 GV-N3090GAMING OC-24GD 24GB 384-Bit GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 x16 SLI Support ATX

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Might be that dreaded overcurrent problem... I guess FH5 will need to be added to the list.

Have you tried clearing CMOS - shut 'er completely off, psu switched off and unplugged from the wall, and power button on the chassis held down for 15 seconds, so as to discharge any leftover power from the mobo.
Plug 'er back up and try again.

Reactions: RodroX

johnnyp26

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Might be that dreaded overcurrent problem... I guess FH5 will need to be added to the list.

Have you tried clearing CMOS - shut 'er completely off, psu switched off and unplugged from the wall, and power button on the chassis held down for 15 seconds, so as to discharge any leftover power from the mobo.
Plug 'er back up and try again.

That would be ironic since I avoided playing New World so as to not kill the GPU. I haven't cleared CMOS yet, I will start there and report back.

Just because New World was the game that got most "negative" press, is not the only software that produce such a sad outcome on this new high end GPUs (specially RTX 3090/3080TI/3080).

And yes try what Phaaze88 wrote first. I sometimes forget about some "basic/easy" stuff... my bad :)

Solution