Question 3090 Ti Temperature Reporting

Poog

Reputable
May 23, 2019
I bought an MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 Ti and when I got it I noticed the Hot Spot Temps were around 20 degrees higher than the core temp. I RMA the card and I got it back today, I plug it in and check temperatures and it looked like it was fixed, around an 8 degree difference. I updated my drivers and all of that and then the temperatures go back to what they said before with a 20 degree difference between hot spot and core temp. I rolled my drivers back to older ones and it goes back to an 8 degree difference? I am confused, is this a known issue that I haven't been able to find? Does my GPU actually have a temperature problem or is it the drivers fault or is it HWInfo's fault? Thanks again for any ideas.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you use DDU to uninstall remnants of all your GPU drivers prior to reinstalling the prior driver revision that reported the lower temps? Did you do the same when using the latest drivers or did you let the OS handle that(auto update)?

What OS are you working with?

Poog

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Did you use DDU to uninstall remnants of all your GPU drivers prior to reinstalling the prior driver revision that reported the lower temps? Did you do the same when using the latest drivers or did you let the OS handle that(auto update)?

What OS are you working with?
I did use DDU to uninstall my drivers before, Windows 10 downloaded new drivers automatically after my computer restarted and that is when I noticed the temps were lowered again. I installed the newer drivers without using DDU to remove the automatic Windows driver download and that's when temps were getting weird. I then installed a driver from ~1 month ago (didn't use DDU before) AFTER installing the newest driver and the temps lowered again.
I feel like this got confusing, if it did just let me know. Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
^ You disconnect from the www, then run DDU, then reinstall the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. You do this every time a new driver version is out.

On second thoughts, can you please pass on the specs to your build, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
since you're working with Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Poog

Reputable
May 23, 2019
^ You disconnect from the www, then run DDU, then reinstall the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. You do this every time a new driver version is out.

On second thoughts, can you please pass on the specs to your build, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
since you're working with Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS.

BIOS version for your motherboard?
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard: B550 Tomahawk
Ram: 16GB DDR4 3600 Ripjaws V (IDK)
SSD/HDD: 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro
GPU: Gaming X Trio 3090 Ti
PSU:1000 Watt RMx
Chassis: 4000D Airflow
Windows Version: 21H2
BIOS Version American Megatrends International, LLC. A.80 (Don't know if that's right)

So should I just run DDU again, without connecting to internet install newest drivers and try again?

Lutfij

Titan
So should I just run DDU again, without connecting to internet install newest drivers and try again?
Yes.

BIOS Version American Megatrends International, LLC. A.80 (Don't know if that's right)
Use CPU-Z and see what the BIOS version is listed under Mainboard tab.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/support
7C91vA8
If that's the BIOS version you're on, immediately update the BIOS, gradually working your way to the latest version. If you're indeed on 7C91vA8 , that's the dreaded A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0 5.

Last edited:

Poog

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Yes.

Use CPU-Z and see what the BIOS version is listed under Mainboard tab.
Just did the driver update and its broken again, go back to older drivers that were showing me lower temps and now those aren’t working properly. My BIOS version is the one you mentioned is A.G.E.S.A code 1.2.0.5 significant?
Just so strange to me only a few hours the temps were not going up this high and stability was much better
EDIT: After running a game for awhile, and I close the game it will completely lock up and freeze my computer forcing a restart. The temperatures dont even need to be that high ~80 degrees on hotspot when it does happen.

Last edited: