Question 3090Ti Temps too hot?

Bazza23

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
Hey All,

Something ive been racking my head over now and can't seem to find any concrete answers online.

Current spec of new PC

Case: COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX TD500 MESH ARGB
CPU: i7-13700K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100x Hydro Series 240mm
RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 5200MHz (2 x 16GB)
PSU: CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES
GPU: RTX 3090ti GAMING X TRIO

Now, i have the three stock fans that come with the case on the front, a 120mm exhaust fan and the 240mm rad mounted on the top (exhausting). I've seen talks in some posts saying i shouldn't have my 120mm rear exhaust fan?

My GPU temps are running at around 79-82c under load (2k resolution 144hz) in games like Need for Speed Heat, Modern Warfare 2, and Horizen Zero dawn (everything pumped up to ultra settings).

Are these temps acceptable during long gaming sessions? Im absolutely terrified of this PC at the moment as i had a PSU die within 2 weeks of owning the PC which has now been swapped out and i feel like im being overly dramatic and just need someone to tell me everything will be ok :) I read in most places that the 30 series cards run much hotter than previous gens and thats completely fine because they were designed that way.

Kind regards,

Baz

Last edited:
Are these temps acceptable during long gaming sessions?
acceptable, yes
something i would tolerate, no.

a lot of the RTX 3000 series cards seem to run hotter than a lot of us have been used to though.
i've had a lot of users ask me to help setup better airflow and interior cooling to help lower their temps after upgrading to them.

even my own TUF RTX 3080 Ti idles ~5-10°C warmer than any of my previous cards ever did.
usually hovering between 38-45°C with nothing going on.
keeps good max temps though; ~58-65°C with very intensive games @3440x1440p, ultra settings, 120hz.

Bazza23

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
acceptable, yes
something i would tolerate, no.

a lot of the RTX 3000 series cards seem to run hotter than a lot of us have been used to though.
i've had a lot of users ask me to help setup better airflow and interior cooling to help lower their temps after upgrading to them.

even my own TUF RTX 3080 Ti idles ~5-10°C warmer than any of my previous cards ever did.
usually hovering between 38-45°C with nothing going on.
keeps good max temps though; ~58-65°C with very intensive games @3440x1440p, ultra settings, 120hz.

With the setup i have now is there anything i can do to improve these? Such as removing that rear 120mm exhaust fan? Or even replacing the 3 stock intake fans? Maybe even limiting FPS to 144 rather than unlimited, would that make any difference?

removing that rear 120mm exhaust fan?
this would likely lead to more heat build-up inside the system resulting in even higher temps.

you can try just raising the RPM of all fans including the cooler's.

is the AiO exhausting out of the top or setup as front intake?
replacing the 3 stock intake fans?
whether replacing them may help depends on what their airflow, air pressure, and max RPMs are.

usually stock fans leave something to be desired but the higher quality the case, usually the higher quality the included fans are.
Maybe even limiting FPS to 144
it could lead to slightly less stress on the GPU but i doubt it would lead to much lower temperatures unless you're currently getting insanely high fps.
it's something you could try.

i leave V-Sync enabled and keep my max fps matching my refresh rate @ 120hz/120fps.

Bazza23

Honorable
Jan 3, 2017
this would likely lead to more heat build-up inside the system resulting in even higher temps.

you can try just raising the RPM of all fans including the cooler's.

is the AiO exhausting out of the top or setup as front intake?

whether replacing them may help depends on what their airflow, air pressure, and max RPMs are.

usually stock fans leave something to be desired but the higher quality the case, usually the higher quality the included fans are.

it could lead to slightly less stress on the GPU but i doubt it would lead to much lower temperatures unless you're currently getting insanely high fps.
it's something you could try.

i leave V-Sync enabled and keep my max fps matching my refresh rate @ 120hz/120fps.

Okay thanks for the advice!

Just to answer your question my 240 rad is top mounted and exhausting at the top. Is top rad install exhausting the better set up than having it pulling air in?

Is top rad install exhausting the better set up than having it pulling air in?
i've always found it the best option.

if someone is experiencing extremely high CPU temps then it can be a better option to front mount and have the outside cooler air pulling directly through the rad.
but then you have the warmed air from the CPU venting throughout the case and not directly exhausting out of the top.

Reactions: Bazza23