32-64 bit mystery.

Jmbbf1861

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Ok, in 32 bit windows, the processor I have works just fine q9550 on a dell Vostro mobo G33M03. When I switch to 64 bit, a few things happen. 1. If I leave the CPU in the socket and attempt to install 64 bit, the computer hangs at the windows splash screen. 2. I install a E**** (duo core), the 64 bit OS installs just fine, I then swap out the CPU for the q9550 and it boots, however task manager sees the CPU as the prior E**** CPU not the q9550 (CPUID sees the quad core) and upon restart, the computer hangs at the windows splash screen. This happens in both win 8.1 and 10. What the heck is going on?

Solution
Check to see which pocessors are supported, and that your BIOS is most current, before the swap....; despite socket compatibility, Dell often has thermal envelopes for it's models, and BIOS might limit you to whatever processors they choose...or not choose if it pushes 'the envelope'....wattage-wise or cooling...
Check to see which pocessors are supported, and that your BIOS is most current, before the swap....; despite socket compatibility, Dell often has thermal envelopes for it's models, and BIOS might limit you to whatever processors they choose...or not choose if it pushes 'the envelope'....wattage-wise or cooling...

Solution