32'' LCD 1920 x 1080 Problem Low FPS with WOW/Raiding

rxman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I just purchased a new 32'' LG LCD TV 60mhz refresh and 6 ms 1080p. I upgraded to get a bigger picture with a 1980 x 1080 resolution to play World of Warcraft but when I started raiding my FPS was low teens to below 10 causing major video lag. I have 2 Geforce 7800 video cards not run in SLI as my board doesnt allow it which is the Intel D975XBX2 and an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 as CPU, 550w ps. What has to be upgraded to reach max fps while raiding while keeping default video settings to raid without video lag and low fps? Im not quite sure if a new board or video card is the answer or even have 2 video cards run in SLI or Crossfire to handle my new TV, I'm just not sure which to get or what needs to be done. I only use this computer for playing World of Warcraft any suggestions would be much appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP BUDGET RANGE: any
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - World of Warcraft

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: n/a
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type Best of whats available.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Need max system performance without video lag.

OneWing_z

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Wow is not a graphics hog by any means. An nVidia 9800 would be plenty to raid with (I currently raid with an 8800GT, which is essentially just an older version of the 9800). The 9800 is considered a low budget card now and can be had cheap at Newegg and/or retail locations that sell video cards. My 8800 runs on the high-end of mid-range settings.

I would look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2521-8.html

Get anything you want in the first seven tiers and WoW will run fine in a 25-man raiding environment. Of course, I don't know what setup you could possibly have that would not lag noticeably when AoEing the Whelps on Ony in 25-man.

I would not recommend going any higher than a 5850, though, if all you plan to do with the box is play WoW. Also, not being sure what else you have in your box, I cannot say if there is any other consideration for not going higher than a certain tier (i.e. your CPU not being able to keep up with what your video card can do).