32 vs 64

G

ok so when i first got my computer i only had access to the 32bit windows 7 but now i have the 64bit version or 86 as it said when i upgraded. the problem is when i load up my computer its still loading up as a 32bit system. could you tell me how to get it to run the 64/86 system instead of the 32bit preferably without having to format my hard drive

G

sigh that sucks... i know cause start>computer>right click>properties>"system type: 32 bit oprerating system" plus its only letting me use like 4 gb of my 16 gb ram

D

Deleted member 217926

X86 is just and old way of saying the CPU is based on the Intel 8086 CPU architecture from the 1970s. It has nothing to do with 32 or 64 bit.

There is no upgrade path from 32 to 64 bit Windows. The only way to change is with a completely new install.

The main downside of a 32Bit OS is that it can only "see" ~3.25GB of memory. As most modern computers have at least 4 to 8GBs of RAM a 64 bit OS is necessary to use it.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

^ he is right. When you see x86 they are usually referring to 32 bit if they were trying to imply 64 bit it would be written x86-64. IE: when you go to C: you'll see two program files folders on a 64 bit install. Program files (x86) is referring to the 32bit apps. But n e who... Windows in any part of their install process it does not show it that in-depth. (not that i remember anyways)

Only way is to do a clean install. Back up what you need and reformat :).