[SOLVED] 3200mhz shows up as 2133

hammychez

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
I just upgraded to corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz 16gb, i replaced all my ram, it shows up as 16gb 2133 instead of 3200, i have a asus prime x370, I've never oc'ed before and i tried to set my memory speed to 3200 and it was a failed oc, am i supposed to up voltage or what should I do?

Solution
Yes, it WILL allow you to edit DRAM voltage. You have to TYPE the voltage in. If you click that field it won't do ANYTHING at all. Just click into that field, type the value you want to enter, then save bios settings and exit. There is no drop down menu for the DRAM voltage. You must either enter it manually or use the + and - sign after clicking where it says Auto to raise or lower the DRAM voltage. If you cannot do that, then something is wrong with your board.

Also, make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed for your motherboard based on what shows up on the product page for that board.

hammychez

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017

i think I tried to set the speed of the memory as 3200, not sure what or how to use xmp profiles

Jan 10, 2019
With asus you have to make sure that the bios is at the latest firmware, the one thing that made the largest change for me was making sure the ram is not in A1/B1 but A2/B2. For the record that is the 2nd ram slot and the 4th ram slot looking from the left of the MOBO to the right

The other part as I read the above answers, the way to change it on this board is as easy as --------->
Ai Tweaker
scroll down to "Memory Frequency" ( and change it to 3200mhz
the next part is you scroll down even farther and I have found the ram is much more stable at setting the socket voltage to about 1.32v

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

The place where you select XMP should be pretty close to where you set the memory.

XMP profiles are a collection of timings, speed, and voltages, setting all those values for you. 3200 will almost certainly require different voltage and timings, so just select the XMP profile you want (there are normally at least two...one for "standard" speed and one for the full 3200 speed.

I'll bet a dollar selecting an xmp profile will solve your issue.

hammychez

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017

I updated the bios and I cannot find where xmp profiles are

hammychez

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017

I can't find socket voltage, also I tried to even see if I could change any of the settings but i wasn't able to

Jan 10, 2019

at the bottom of this image you should see something that says "DRAM Voltage" when you get there click on it and in the bottom left it describes that you can hit the plus or minus buttons on your keyboard to increase or decrease your voltage by increments
attachment.php

hammychez

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017

Sorry for the bad photo
aKmNw6v
it doesn’t allow me to edit “DRAM VOLTAGE”
https://imgur.com/a/aKmNw6v is the link too

Yes, it WILL allow you to edit DRAM voltage. You have to TYPE the voltage in. If you click that field it won't do ANYTHING at all. Just click into that field, type the value you want to enter, then save bios settings and exit. There is no drop down menu for the DRAM voltage. You must either enter it manually or use the + and - sign after clicking where it says Auto to raise or lower the DRAM voltage. If you cannot do that, then something is wrong with your board.

Also, make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed for your motherboard based on what shows up on the product page for that board.

Solution

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Did you ever just try setting an XMP profile? That sets everything that folks are talking about for you automatically.

If you don't see it, look in your users manual, it is literally as easy as choose a selection from a dropdown menu, save and reboot. I can almost guarantee this will fix your issue.

Jan 10, 2019

Out of curiosity I thought XMP was only for amd enabled devices and that AMD has their own RAM for XMP to be enabled on those devices and not just the CPU. is this true or am I buggin?

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
No AMD expert, but you may be correct in that AMD calls their version of XMP something different, but I'm almost certain that AMD boards have something that does just what I said above...select a "profile" from the dropdown in the BIOS/UEFI, save and boot. Right now I'm too lazy to google "AMD XMP profile" or something similar.

On Intel systems it is called XMP. Period.

For AMD, it could have any of several different names depending on whether the board manufacturer was willing to pay a royalty for use of the nomenclature. Overall, it is ALL the same. What is different is HOW it is implemented since AMD platforms will usually prefer or require a different set of timings than an Intel system will even using the same sticks.

XMP is an Intel tech introduction to automatically set DRAM to intended data rates over and above a base level (for DDR3 it applies to DRAM 1600 and up), DDR4 for DRAM 2400 and up. You enable the feature it reads the profile off the DRAM sticks and applies it in BIOS.

DOCP (Direct Over Clock Profile), is from Asus for AMD mobos and came as the mobo makers didn't want to pay royalties to Intel to implement XMP on AMD mobos, it effectively uses the DRAM XMP profile to set up data rates and comparative timings on the AMD mobos for a variety of data rates.

EOCP (Extended Over Clock Profiles) is GigaBYtes version of the Asus DOCP..

Within the last couple of years more and more the AMD mobo makers are simply moving to XMP as it's an industry standard and much easier to keep up in the BIOS than other methods with the proliferation of new DRAM, tighter timings, etc

(Credit to Tradesman1 for this clarification)