[SOLVED] 32x2 or 4x16 Ram ?

SaarVFX

Prominent
Sep 24, 2020
Hey guys, I’m sorry for the newbie question but I’m about to build my first PC and I was wondering, is there any differences between buying 32x2 GB Ram instead of 4x16? I mean, if I’m buying 32x2 It’s giving me the option to put more Ram and have the option to have a total of 128 GB of Ram in case I will have to..
What should I take into consideration when deciding which one to take ?
(My computer should have 4 Ram slots)

Thanks a lot for any help!

Solution
So that's a dual channel platform. This is what you want. Keep in mind, the memory kit has to ALSO be not just compatible with the platform, but also with the specific motherboard as well. Not all memory kits work properly with all motherboards, even if other similar kits do.

These are compatible with your board, are high quality DIMMs and are an appropriate speed for your CPU and platform without spending any more than what is necessary.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $214.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 21:34 EDT-0400
So that's a dual channel platform. This is what you want. Keep in mind, the memory kit has to ALSO be not just compatible with the platform, but also with the specific motherboard as well. Not all memory kits work properly with all motherboards, even if other similar kits do.

These are compatible with your board, are high quality DIMMs and are an appropriate speed for your CPU and platform without spending any more than what is necessary.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($214.99 @ Newegg)

Solution

SaarVFX

Prominent
Sep 24, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Thank you for your answer!
Are those have any cons over the 16x4 that I was about to purchase in the beginning..?

No, they don't. In fact, it's a better configuration because the more DIMMs you add, the more stress you put on the internal memory controller in the CPU. You need two DIMMs, at least, on a dual channel motherboard so you can GET dual channel operation, because it benefits the memory performance by doubling the bandwidth, but four DIMMs also doubles the stress on the IMC. Some will tell you the performance is better with four DIMMs versus two, but it's really not.

The other issue is that some platforms simply WON'T run four DIMMs at the advertised speed if the memory kit is very high speed. They will drop the speed to a lower frequency in some cases when running four DIMMs.

There's nothing specifically wrong with running four DIMMs, if that is the only way you can get the full amount of the memory capacity you want to run, but sometimes there are trade-offs and sacrifices to be made in order to do so. Other times, especially when running lower speed DIMMs, it just works fine. The higher tiered the motherboard is, the more likely it is going to be capable of running high speed four DIMM configurations usually as well.

SaarVFX

Prominent
Sep 24, 2020
No, they don't. In fact, it's a better configuration because the more DIMMs you add, the more stress you put on the internal memory controller in the CPU. You need two DIMMs, at least, on a dual channel motherboard so you can GET dual channel operation, because it benefits the memory performance by doubling the bandwidth, but four DIMMs also doubles the stress on the IMC. Some will tell you the performance is better with four DIMMs versus two, but it's really not.

The other issue is that some platforms simply WON'T run four DIMMs at the advertised speed if the memory kit is very high speed. They will drop the speed to a lower frequency in some cases when running four DIMMs.

There's nothing specifically wrong with running four DIMMs, if that is the only way you can get the full amount of the memory capacity you want to run, but sometimes there are trade-offs and sacrifices to be made in order to do so. Other times, especially when running lower speed DIMMs, it just works fine. The higher tiered the motherboard is, the more likely it is going to be capable of running high speed four DIMM configurations usually as well.

thank you!
Do you think buying this one is ok?

https://www.newegg.com/global/il-en/p/N82E16813145091?Item=N82E16813145091

Last edited:
I thought your friend already built you a computer, using the Z390-A? If not, then yes, that board is fine, but we'll need to re-check memory compatibility because what works on one board, even within the same chipset family, may not work on another board. Plenty of memory kits that run on one, won't run on another, or will run, but will have issues which in some cases means it won't work period, and in others means it will work but needs to be manually configured. Best to get memory that is validated for any specific motherboard you intend to use.