[SOLVED] 3440 X 1440 for WoW and more

sagmani

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Hello everyone,

Building up a computer for mainly world of Warcraft plus possibly other games, I decided to go with the ultra-wide 3440 x 1440, I am thinking to go with RTX 2070 super, would this be the right graphic card for this monitor??

Thank you!

Yes. That card will do you fine for WoW.
Not so much high frame rates and high graphics on modern AAA titles though.
You can get away with probably a medium/high mix at about 60fps for AAA titles.

But your choice of CPU can greatly effect performance as well.

And the amount of ram is important too.

And depending on CPU choice, ram speed is also important

hello everyone,

Building a new computer for world of Warcraft I decided to go with 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor and I have always heard in the past where world of Warcraft gaming intend to work better with Nvidia GPU's versus AMD GPU's, if that is the case Nvidia is the right option here I am thinking to go with RTX 2070 super would this be the right card for 3440 x 1440??

Thank you

2070 Super would do fine.

Solution
As far as WoW is concerned, you can play it mostly maxed out on details at 1080p 60+fps on a GTX1050, not a particularly demanding game if that is the only game you currently have in mind. Wouldn't bother going above GTX1660 for it unless you are playing at 2.5-4k resolution.

Edit: oops, just noticed the title :) Yeah, not going to do 3k at 60+fps on a GTX1050, 1660/6GB would be a good starting point if WoW is the only thing you are considering at the moment with 2070S if you have significantly more demanding games in mind and don't want to lower details. On my GTX1050, I can get ~30fps at 4k.

sagmani

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Hello everyone,

Building a new computer for WoW looking into either the i5 9600k or the new ryzen 5 3600 x, I have always heard in the past where WoW gaming intend to work better with Intel processors, with the new ryzen 5 3600 x, is intel still the preferred processor for a WoW, or the new ryzen 5 3600 x would be the right option here??

Thank you!

InvalidError

Titan
WoW has fairly low system requirements, I can still get 60+fps in most places most of the time on my i5-3470. The last time I used Process Explorer to spy on WoW's thread activity, it had one thread at 100% activity all the time, a second thread hovering in the 20-25% range and a bunch of other threads totaling another 20-25% for a combined total of about 1.5 cores worth of CPU activity. Upgrading to a CPU with more cores and threads won't help WoW performance much.

3rd-gen Ryzen is mostly even with Intel on performance, though Ryzen has the benefit of SMT which should make it more future-proof. Six months from now, Comet Lake is likely bringing SMT/HT to the i5 lineup too.

sagmani

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
WoW has fairly low system requirements, I can still get 60+fps in most places most of the time on my i5-3470. The last time I used Process Explorer to spy on WoW's thread activity, it had one thread at 100% activity all the time, a second thread hovering in the 20-25% range and a bunch of other threads totaling another 20-25% for a combined total of about 1.5 cores worth of CPU activity. Upgrading to a CPU with more cores and threads won't help WoW performance much.

3rd-gen Ryzen is mostly even with Intel on performance, though Ryzen has the benefit of SMT which should make it more future-proof. Six months from now, Comet Lake is likely bringing SMT/HT to the i5 lineup too.

So, if not overclocking and 4 core CPU is more than enough, do you suggest switching to i3 9300, or just stick with i5 9600, or do you suggest sticking with the i5 9600X?? Does intel still preferred CPU for WoW??

InvalidError

Titan
Since WoW was still a fundamentally single-threaded game last time I looked, it'll run best on the fastest single-threaded CPU you can get, which would be an i3/i5/i7-9xxk overclocked to 5GHz. If you aren't attempting to run WoW at 100+ fps, then the i3-9300 should be fine.

If you plan to play newer more demanding games at some point in the near-future, 4c4t is getting a bit old and as I wrote before, the Ryzen 3600 would be more future-proof than the i5-9600 there due to having SMT.

sagmani

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
Sorry guys one more question, so I have heard in the past that Nvidia GPU intend to work better with WoW than AMD, is this true? I was wondering on other option on the AMD side for GPU, or should I just stick with the RTX 2070 S?

Thank you!

InvalidError

Titan
As far as WoW is concerned, you can play it mostly maxed out on details at 1080p 60+fps on a GTX1050, not a particularly demanding game if that is the only game you currently have in mind. Wouldn't bother going above GTX1660 for it unless you are playing at 2.5-4k resolution.

Edit: oops, just noticed the title :) Yeah, not going to do 3k at 60+fps on a GTX1050, 1660/6GB would be a good starting point if WoW is the only thing you are considering at the moment with 2070S if you have significantly more demanding games in mind and don't want to lower details. On my GTX1050, I can get ~30fps at 4k.

Last edited:
Reactions: sagmani
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
The RTX2080 can do 4k in WoW:BfA at ~100fps with everything maxed out. If your target is 60fps on your monitor which is about 2/3 of 4k then you need about half that much GPU-power, which takes you down to GTX1660Ti-RTX2060 territory as far as BfA is concerned.

If you want a GPU with a bit more oomph to spare, then you can aim for either an RTX2060S or RX5700.