Question 3600+2070S bottle neck

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your resolution / refresh rate?
What is your major application? If gaming, what games?

The term "bottleneck" is quite misleading. Every system technically has a bottleneck, and the bottleneck changes on the application, there is no single bottleneck in a system per se.

In GPU intensive applications, you may find the GPU the bottleneck.
In CPU intensive applications, you may find the CPU the bottleneck.

So in reality, it depends on what you are doing, and also where your current system is letting you down. Ultimately there is also nothing WRONG with a bottleneck, it just shows where your next upgrade may be :)

As far as things go, I would say the 3600 should be fine with a 2070 super, but if you are only playing at 1080p , a 2070 super probably isn't necessary.

Do you have a current system you are upgrading or a new build?

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
What is your resolution / refresh rate?
What is your major application? If gaming, what games?

The term "bottleneck" is quite misleading. Every system technically has a bottleneck, and the bottleneck changes on the application, there is no single bottleneck in a system per se.

In GPU intensive applications, you may find the GPU the bottleneck.
In CPU intensive applications, you may find the CPU the bottleneck.

So in reality, it depends on what you are doing, and also where your current system is letting you down. Ultimately there is also nothing WRONG with a bottleneck, it just shows where your next upgrade may be :)

As far as things go, I would say the 3600 should be fine with a 2070 super, but if you are only playing at 1080p , a 2070 super probably isn't necessary.

Do you have a current system you are upgrading or a new build?
Sorry I my initial message wasn't very descriptive lol. I plan on gaming at 1080p currently but upgrade to 1440p a bit later. The PC will be for gaming and casual editing and it will be a new build not an upgrade. I find my FX8350 works fine for editing but I always have to turn my settings up in games to put more pressure on my rx 570 8gb like in gta 5 because of bottle neck. What i was really wondering was should I put more of my budget into CPU and get something like a 2060 super.

Is the 3600 THE fastest desktop gaming processor?

No.

But, approximating the 8700K in gaming levels of performance, it's faster than all the 2700X and below predecessors.

Might there be a light difference in performance with the fastest gaming desktop CPU pitted against one of the best value propositions in a decade? Yes.

View how much potential difference here. (With lesser GPU, the difference would be less!)
(The 100 MHz difference in clock speed or so between the 3600 and 3600X is not all that significant)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EfcoM4oFoQ&t=1666s

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Is the 3600 THE fastest desktop gaming processor?

No.

But, approximating the 8700K in gaming levels of performance, it's faster than all the 2700X and below predecessors.

Might there be a light difference in performance with the fastest gaming desktop CPU pitted against one of the best value propositions in a decade? Yes.

View how much potential difference here. (With lesser GPU, the difference would be less!)
(The 100 MHz difference in clock speed or so between the 3600 and 3600X is not all that significant)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EfcoM4oFoQ&t=1666s
Are you saying I should spend more on the CPU?