Question 3600, 3600x or 2700x? (upgrade from 2600)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Hello.

I only need some advices on upgrading my cpu.
What is more worth it as the title says.
Or is it worth it in the first place?

I'm only a casual gamer who plays some story mode games such as metro exodus and sometimes racing and simulation games too.

I am aware that my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu so I think I'd like to upgrade to REMOVE or REDUCE the bottleneck as much as possible.

Ryzen 5 2600
RX 5700 XT
A320 pro Vh Plus ( yes it is crappy )
16gb 3200mhz
520v bronze seasonic s12II
24" 144hz 1080p display

I think I have made some threads regarding about my bottlenecking issue on some games. I had made an example about the outer worlds game where I had a nice 120+ fps on the intro and suddenly it went to crappy and stuttering, unstable 40-50 fps. Also my fps goes high up when I simply look down on my character's feet and it goes down when I look into cities.

I only want that stable fps that's all.

It is my first time upgrading my cpu and I need some accurate advices, thank you very much.

Reactions: CountMike

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I'm also having low fps when looking at cities or detailed structures. My fps would go down from 144 to 70 fps (this game is euro truck simulator 2)

Interesting that my gpu amd cpu doesn't max out but the usage of gpu decreases a bit when fps goes down. When I look into the ground still in the city, my fps goes high up again. CPU usage is still the same running at 18%. Temps are good though.

InvalidError

Titan
Interesting that my gpu amd cpu doesn't max out but the usage of gpu decreases a bit when fps goes down. When I look into the ground still in the city, my fps goes high up again. CPU usage is still the same running at 18%.
That would be typical for lightly-threaded games. Once the main thread maxes out the CPU's per-thread performance, the rest end up waiting for stuff to do. Using something like Process Explorer to spy on the process' per-thread CPU usage will likely reveal only one or two threads at 8% CPU utilization (100% of a single thread for a 12-threaded CPU) and a handful of other threads with much lower usage.

Reactions: ceejay7

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
That would be typical for lightly-threaded games. Once the main thread maxes out the CPU's per-thread performance, the rest end up waiting for stuff to do. Using something like Process Explorer to spy on the process' per-thread CPU usage will likely reveal only one or two threads at 8% CPU utilization (100% of a single thread for a 12-threaded CPU) and a handful of other threads with much lower usage.
Is that the reason why my fps goes down when I look into buildings?

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Well with that gpu you will see noticeable gains from a 2600 to a 3600 But....Here's the question.Do you need to upgrade?Do you have lag in any games?I got a R5 2600 paired with a gtx 1070 ti and i have yet to find a game i can't max in 1080p.Maybe borderlands 3 but it's bad optimization.
Rather wait a couple months see what amd brings out and decide then.
PS:First thing is change your motherboard regardless of what you do and don't do.The A320 are a barebone motherboard it's made for lower end cpu's.I got my brother an msi a320 gaming mobo its a little better than the rest but it's still crap.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Well with that gpu you will see noticeable gains from a 2600 to a 3600 But....Here's the question.Do you need to upgrade?Do you have lag in any games?I got a R5 2600 paired with a gtx 1070 ti and i have yet to find a game i can't max in 1080p.Maybe borderlands 3 but it's bad optimization.
Rather wait a couple months see what amd brings out and decide then.
PS:First thing is change your motherboard regardless of what you do and don't do.The A320 are a barebone motherboard it's made for lower end cpu's.I got my brother an msi a320 gaming mobo its a little better than the rest but it's still crap.
yeah, i had problems with borderlands 3 too, where the intro was quite smooth-fps playing at 130+ and it all went to 70 fps when looking on buildings where I get to fight enemies. Sometimes I think my PSU is the culprit lol but I have reasons not to accuse it for IT.

I understand now that I also need to upgrade my mobo now to have better vrms and stuff.
I might go for ryzen 7 3700x + msi b450m mortar max next month.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019

It came to my mind that the game is a single-threaded performance game. If I had an intel cpu i would have a nice boost of performace because those cpus are good for single threaded performance?

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I think I'm 90% sure that I might go with the R7 3700X with a b450m mobo but I'm concerned about my psu despite that my r5 2600 has the same tdp with the r7 3700x cpu. The 10% still can change my mind though

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Thanks for all of your respectable suggestions everyone. Each of them is considered so I came up with the idea to go for the upgrade but still I may be wrong for some people lol. This still can be changed and I can wait ;) my savings is nearly reaching it there.

I hope this upgrade goes nice on my 144hz 1080p monitor

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
I played through the Outer worlds on a 2600 and it was smooth, used to crash sometimes when leaving the ship but that was a game issue. I wouldn't even recommend an upgrade at the moment apart from maybe get a decent ssd instead of the mechanical drive. Wait for AMD to release desktop 4000 cpus, unlike intel (or nvidia for that matter) they actually drop the rrp on their previous releases.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I played through the Outer worlds on a 2600 and it was smooth, used to crash sometimes when leaving the ship but that was a game issue. I wouldn't even recommend an upgrade at the moment apart from maybe get a decent ssd instead of the mechanical drive. Wait for AMD to release desktop 4000 cpus, unlike intel (or nvidia for that matter) they actually drop the rrp on their previous releases.

Maybe it's just the drivers and the optimization of the game againts my video card. There are people also that are having problems with the game's optimization and adding my monitor that is a 144hz one, my fps becomes unstable as my eyes can see the difference of 120fps going down to 40fps-50fps. I could have lock it up to 60fps but meh. I might use the 8 core for productions and stuff too

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I saw some sort of article about a 3600X for only $199, but, that might have been an in-store Microcenter deal...

Certainly, the 3600 does quite well for it's $179 asking price...

I wish we had those kind of prices here in the Philippines regarding about the prices of the cpus. The shops here only cares about your money not to mention they have poor customer service..but there is one shop that I know that do well.