[SOLVED] 3600 4.6GHZ

available247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
sorry about the somewhat clickbait title but apparently im running 4.6 how is this possible when most reviews get 4.3?
can you see my picture and see if anything is wrong also what can i use to test properly and what to look out for?
https://ibb.co/c60xGb5

Solution
Oh. The long answer lol.

You have a Ryzen, not an intel. They aren't the same, don't work the same, don't go about doing things the same way. And you are used to Intel, the way its temps are, it's OC, it's boosts.

Intel sets a limit and automatically boosts to that limit for everything. So if the base speed is 3.4GHz, turbo is 3.9GHz then soon as you move the mouse, play a tune, punish the cpu with a stress test, it'll boost to 3.9GHz and stay there unless you hit @ 100°C, then it'll throttle back to save itself.

Ryzen can also reach 100°C, they just do not want to, ever, no matter what cpu cooler you have. So their boost is variable. IF temps and voltages allow, they'll boost to max on as minimum amount of cores possible. If...
sorry about the somewhat clickbait title but apparently im running 4.6 how is this possible when most reviews get 4.3?
can you see my picture and see if anything is wrong also what can i use to test properly and what to look out for?
https://ibb.co/c60xGb5
Lucky? Doubt the long term stability though. I got 4.5 on cinebench but got errors running occt small instructions. 4.4 was nice and stable at 1.3v

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Please don't use HWMonitor, it's not entirely reliable with Ryzen. Use HWInfo (sensors only) instead as that's known to be highly accurate. In conjunction with Ryzen Master.

That said, 4.6GHz isn't hard to obtain, can easily be done with PBO level 3 or 4.

What's hard to obtain is a stable PBO level 3 or 4 without massive cooling potential and VRM temp control.

And you'll not see that at full load outputs. Also not see 1.1v and 4.6GHz stable on all cores either. Most only get 4.2-4.3GHz at 1.3v or more under Prime95 small fft loads.

According to temps (if they are somewhat accurate) you are at idle load, which is entirely different to full load stability. You'll almost guarantee to crash within minutes of any stress test

available247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Please don't use HWMonitor, it's not entirely reliable with Ryzen. Use HWInfo (sensors only) instead as that's known to be highly accurate. In conjunction with Ryzen Master.

That said, 4.6GHz isn't hard to obtain, can easily be done with PBO level 3 or 4.

What's hard to obtain is a stable PBO level 3 or 4 without massive cooling potential and VRM temp control.

And you'll not see that at full load outputs. Also not see 1.1v and 4.6GHz stable on all cores either. Most only get 4.2-4.3GHz at 1.3v or more under Prime95 small fft loads.

According to temps (if they are somewhat accurate) you are at idle load, which is entirely different to full load stability. You'll almost guarantee to crash within minutes of any stress test

ah you was right used occt and i had errors thought something wasnt right im now running 4.3 and tbh trying to get 4.3 stable with low voltage as i can whats the safe 24/7 limits for the 3600?
my reasony for wanting to use a manual overclock is because pbo spikes the cpu voltage, temps rise and my fans kick up. its annoying so im trying to get around this and just go for a safe 24/7overclock

is it fine using occt with the settings im using or should i change
https://ibb.co/60NbRmV

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh. The long answer lol.

You have a Ryzen, not an intel. They aren't the same, don't work the same, don't go about doing things the same way. And you are used to Intel, the way its temps are, it's OC, it's boosts.

Intel sets a limit and automatically boosts to that limit for everything. So if the base speed is 3.4GHz, turbo is 3.9GHz then soon as you move the mouse, play a tune, punish the cpu with a stress test, it'll boost to 3.9GHz and stay there unless you hit @ 100°C, then it'll throttle back to save itself.

Ryzen can also reach 100°C, they just do not want to, ever, no matter what cpu cooler you have. So their boost is variable. IF temps and voltages allow, they'll boost to max on as minimum amount of cores possible. If temps and/or voltages would put you at high temps, they'll back down a little, so you can maintain at least good performance and reasonable temps/voltages.

Both Ryzen and Intel want to give best performance possible, Intel doesn't care how it does it, Ryzen tries to do it within the boundaries.

At idle, Intel lowers voltages and speeds to all cores, but all cores remain active. So background tasks are split up between every core as needed. So you'll see idle of @ 30 and spikes to @ 50 in general as temp readers poll the hottest core. With Ryzen at idle, it shuts down all the cores totally, keeping just 1 active. This means the full load of all the background tasks is on 1 core, so idle temps read @ 40 - 60ish. With a load, like moving the mouse, both Intel and Ryzen bring all cores upto working speeds, Intel max turbo and Ryzen whatevers appropriate for the job. So Intel will see higher temps at low loads and Ryzen temps don't really budge from idle. Not until a sizable load.

With pbo, you've made the boost more aggressive for those low-mid loads, so the boost is higher, hotter and the fans respond the same. Instead, adjust your fan curves, set minimum duty cycle a little higher and set the curve to not climb until 5°C higher than the spikes. So if pbo is bouncing 45-65, you'd set a low rise from 40-70 ending in @ 50-60% duty cycle and then a short rise from 70-75 with max fans at 75 °C.

Also make sure you use Balanced power plan, not performance.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

available247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Oh. The long answer lol.

Ryzen can also reach 100°C, they just do not want to, ever, no matter what cpu cooler you have. So their boost is variable. IF temps and voltages allow, they'll boost to max on as minimum amount of cores possible. If temps and/or voltages would put you at high temps, they'll back down a little, so you can maintain at least good performance and reasonable temps/voltages.

Both Ryzen and Intel want to give best performance possible, Intel doesn't care how it does it, Ryzen tries to do it within the boundaries.

At idle, Intel lowers voltages and speeds to all cores, but all cores remain active. So background tasks are split up between every core as needed. So you'll see idle of @ 30 and spikes to @ 50 in general as temp readers poll the hottest core. With Ryzen at idle, it shuts down all the cores totally, keeping just 1 active. This means the full load of all the background tasks is on 1 core, so idle temps read @ 40 - 60ish. With a load, like moving the mouse, both Intel and Ryzen bring all cores upto working speeds, Intel max turbo and Ryzen whatevers appropriate for the job. So Intel will see higher temps at low loads and Ryzen temps don't really budge from idle. Not until a sizable load.

With pbo, you've made the boost more aggressive for those low-mid loads, so the boost is higher, hotter and the fans respond the same. Instead, adjust your fan curves, set minimum duty cycle a little higher and set the curve to not climb until 5°C higher than the spikes. So if pbo is bouncing 45-65, you'd set a low rise from 40-70 ending in @ 50-60% duty cycle and then a short rise from 70-75 with max fans at 75 °C.

Also make sure you use Balanced power plan, not performance.
thanks for all the help so far but im not using pbo at the moment im doing this manual i have used prime 95 small ftt most heat/power test is there anything wrong with my readings that im getting to me its so far so good currently on 25mins prime run
i just dont want to degrade my cpu with pbo id rather be manual then i know what the limit is i have an 280mm aio my vcore is 1.265
https://ibb.co/x5PC145

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just the opposite actually. Ryzen master and pbo regulate themselves and will not allow dangerous amperages. Which is what's been happening with the Ryzens and OC.

A Ryzen can handle upto 1.5v, at very low currant loads. It can handle upto 1.325v at high currant loads. The discrepancy comes with just what is a high currant load. So overclockers are bumping vcore upto 1.3-1.4v and not realizing there's a corresponding shift in currant to get the speed attained. And they end up with an extreme currant load instead after having locked all the cores to that level of boost.

So honestly even 1.3v is pushing your luck with very high constant OC.

But most people treat the Ryzen like it's an intel.

PBO will regulate currant, allow for only specific maximums but also allowing for spike currant. It'll also limit wattage used, thereby limiting voltage at higher currant boost levels.

It'll mean you may not hit a target speed as such, but the cpu will boost exactly what it needs to, and boost as much as it's able to, on as many cores as required. And not exceed limits or temps.

With pbo, you'll not need to worry about stability. But just like any overclock, you will need to watch temps in order to get the best boost you can.

available247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Just the opposite actually. Ryzen master and pbo regulate themselves and will not allow dangerous amperages. Which is what's been happening with the Ryzens and OC.

A Ryzen can handle upto 1.5v, at very low currant loads. It can handle upto 1.325v at high currant loads. The discrepancy comes with just what is a high currant load. So overclockers are bumping vcore upto 1.3-1.4v and not realizing there's a corresponding shift in currant to get the speed attained. And they end up with an extreme currant load instead after having locked all the cores to that level of boost.

So honestly even 1.3v is pushing your luck with very high constant OC.

But most people treat the Ryzen like it's an intel.

PBO will regulate currant, allow for only specific maximums but also allowing for spike currant. It'll also limit wattage used, thereby limiting voltage at higher currant boost levels.

It'll mean you may not hit a target speed as such, but the cpu will boost exactly what it needs to, and boost as much as it's able to, on as many cores as required. And not exceed limits or temps.

With pbo, you'll not need to worry about stability. But just like any overclock, you will need to watch temps in order to get the best boost you can.
Ah I see so basically the safest setting is to use pbo and keep my temps stable thanks

The best setup is to run Ryzen without PBO...all it does is give a slight boost to short benchmarks and add heat...so besides bench-marking I'd leave it off.

With good cpu cooling and fast low latency 3600mhz ram you can set the IF freq to 1800 and max out the chip without worrying about degrading the chip using PBO or static OCing...let PB2 do its thing and you'll be good.

available247

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
The best setup is to run Ryzen without PBO...all it does is give a slight boost to short benchmarks and add heat...so besides bench-marking I'd leave it off.

With good cpu cooling and fast low latency 3600mhz ram you can set the IF freq to 1800 and max out the chip without worrying about degrading the chip using PBO or static OCing...let PB2 do its thing and you'll be good.
i have run it without all the mobo enhancment and with pbo turned off its still using 1.27-1.35v it makes no sense when i can get 4.3ghz 30min prime 95 smallftt run at 1.285v to me i should be using a manual clock as its using too many volts stock

It's not using those volts constantly though...it's passing the work from core to core across the chip so each core is only seeing those high volts for a millisecond and, importantly, the heat doesn't build up on the chip like it can when pushing an all core overclock. In between those bursts of high volts and workload the chip is idling down to well below 0.5v...mine routinely hits as low as 0.28-0.30v when idling cores which gives the chip a chance to cool off. That's what PB2 does, it dynamically scales the chip balancing heat, voltages/current, and core clock...but without the warranty voiding issues of using PBO or a fixed overclock. Can you wring more out of the chip with a 24/7 overclock ? Yes, of course in some scenarios. Is it safe for the chip ? Early results are indicating it might not be long term...but it's still too early to be sure. Remember these haven't even been out a year so if you're willing to risk it just be eyes open about it.