[SOLVED] 3600x proper frequency?

rumple99

Reputable
May 27, 2019
So I have a 3600x , eveything runs fine and all drivers are up to date, using the 1usmus power plan. I realise all cores do not boost to the advertised 4400mhz however I get different reports bertween Ryzen Master and HWINFO.

You will see from the sceenshots that Ryzen Master reports my peak speed as 4266MHZ on core 3 but that core 5 is my best core, whereas HWINFO reports my max speed at 4400mhz on core 2

So why is the Ryzen Master report so different and what speed am I actually getting?

hAeUWfx.jpg

u6P9XGx.jpg

Solution
So I have a 3600x , eveything runs fine and all drivers are up to date, using the 1usmus power plan. I realise all cores do not boost to the advertised 4400mhz however I get different reports bertween Ryzen Master and HWINFO.

You will see from the sceenshots that Ryzen Master reports my peak speed as 4266MHZ on core 3 but that core 5 is my best core, whereas HWINFO reports my max speed at 4400mhz on core 2

So why is the Ryzen Master report so different and what speed am I actually getting?

hAeUWfx.jpg

u6P9XGx.jpg
Since you're up-to-date on BIOS, and I assume chipset driver too, make sure BIOS has these settings ENABLED: AMD CoolnQuiet, Global C States, Processor CPPC and...
You'll notice ryzen master list cores 1-6 while hwinfo64 lists 0-5. It's also been known that other than ryzen master, alot of monitoring apps are less than accurate with AMD CPUs.

I'd believe what ryzen master says vs hwinfo.

Max boost is only available on a single core, so you'll likely see it change in workloads. That's what amd says.

I would say your chip is performing as it should and boosting a single core to 4.3.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Time of reading. It's not a constant thing like an old analog speedometer, it's a digital thing where reports get sampled at set time periods. So if you had 5 periods in 1 second 4.2 4.2 4.3 4.2 4.2 and Ryzen master reads the second, it'll show as 4.2 max. If HWInfo reads the 3rd, it'll show as 4.3 max.

That's why tests need to be run for a good long while, to vary the time periods.

hAeUWfx.jpg

u6P9XGx.jpg
Since you're up-to-date on BIOS, and I assume chipset driver too, make sure BIOS has these settings ENABLED: AMD CoolnQuiet, Global C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores.

Also, in HWInfo set the global polling period to 500mSec's so it can catch more of the boosting action as it happens very quickly. You can also configure each of the core multiplier sensors to show a graph and watch the boosting over time.

And as said, the processor only boosts one core at a time to the max boost clocks on light bursty processing loads, something like a Defender virus scan does it. And the preferred cores that Windows' scheduler uses aren't necessarily the 'best' cores of the CPU. The scheduler moves the executing threads around to different cores so it picks 'good' cores that share resources on the same CCX to do it with.

You'll see it preferring certain cores and they should be the better cores that also boost higher. The HWInfo screen you showed Core 2 is one of the better cores...you see that with the (perf #1/2) indication...and it's hitting 4400. If you looked at it in a graph you'd get an idea how often it hits the max clock.

If you enable PBO and set PPT=333, EDC and TDC = 230, you might see more cores hitting 4400.

Lastly, and probably more to the point of your question, what AMD flags as a 'Gold Star' core isn't necessarily the highest boosting core, it might be one that needs less voltage. They flag it for extreme competition overclockers to know which one should require less voltage for single-core overclocking as high as they can force it.

And in general, RyzenMaster isn't intended for monitoring as HWInfo is, it was designed at the outset as a tool that competition overclockers could use. For that reason the displays are 'weighted average' readings while many of the readings in HWInfo are the true instantaneous reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karadjgne
Solution