Question 3700x - are those temperatures / fan behavior normal?

SzynekZ

Prominent
Nov 23, 2019
Hello,

I installed 3700x yesterday (alongside new PSU, RAM and motherboard). In general it works good, I have visibly better fps, no BSODs or restarts etc. but I wonder about CPU temperatures and fan behavior.

What I mean is, even when I'm on desktop and not doing anything, temperature jumps every 10-20 second from ~35 to ~45, then it goes back to ~35, and cycle repeats. When I'm actually doing something (Netflix, browsing the web, sth downloading in the background etc.) the jumps are between say ~42 and ~52 degrees. Also when I look at the CPU (i have both side panels removed at the moment) I can clearly see, that the fan slows down noticeably (stops?) every couple of seconds. It looks like the fan has a hard time finding "correct" constant speed so it jumps instantly from low to high RPMs.

I just wanted to ask, whether this is normal, or should I worry. I mean I'm not experiencing any actual problems so far (like loudness or instability), but I'd like to know whether it is standard behavior or can it decrease fan or CPU lifespan. It seems kind of weird that there are so sudden temperature and RPMs spikes, I don't think I experienced something like this with my previous CPU (i5-4460).

Some clips:

Thanks for your help.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
The temperature jumps are normal.
You should change the CPU fan profile in your BIOS OR with whatever fan control software you use in Windows to minimize the CPU fan ramping up and down.

I have a Scyhte Ninja 5 cooler on my 3700x.
I use Argus Monitor and have my fan curve set like this:
View: https://imgur.com/txAHdr0

That helps minimize my CPU temperature fluctuations as well.
My CPU idles at 30-32c and jumps up to about 36-38c when web browsing or watching videos, etc.

Reactions: GarrettL

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
AMD's new Ryzen CPUs are known to spike their temps in use... It is perfectly normal... What you have to watch for is if the temp consistently exceeds 90 degrees C when under load. Another factor is VRM temps. Since the 3700x is a 65-watt CPU, it should be fine with all motherboards, but might want to keep an eye on it. Use HWINFO64 to monitor the temps..