Question 3700x Stock Wraith Prism Cooler - Best Settings/Fan Curve?

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Hi all,
Just trying to get everything working smoothly on my new build.
The stock wraith prism cooler on my 3700x is running at around 1700rpm currently which seems a lot, and is a little louder than I'd like. It's not too bad, though.
What would you recommend in terms of fan curve? CPU fan settings are currently at auto and temperatures are fluctuating between 40 and 50 Celsius whilst doing nothing/internet browsing.
Or is 1700rpm normal and I should just leave it alone?
Thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Something like the following, but you don't have to do it exactly like it:
-Minimum rpm of 70% at 60C
-Middle rpm of 80% at 80C
-100% at 90C
You're less likely to notice revving with a fan curve that's already high.
Go too low, and you definitely will notice it more.

kissela

Honorable
Jan 30, 2016
Something like the following, but you don't have to do it exactly like it:
-Minimum rpm of 70% at 60C
-Middle rpm of 80% at 80C
-100% at 90C
You're less likely to notice revving with a fan curve that's already high.
Go too low, and you definitely will notice it more.
Sorry about a very basic question: does that curve mean that under 60C the fan is completely stopped? What happens if I'd add one more step to start the fan at 40C with 50%? Would it keep the temps easier below 60 and hence more silent?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry about a very basic question: does that curve mean that under 60C the fan is completely stopped? What happens if I'd add one more step to start the fan at 40C with 50%? Would it keep the temps easier below 60 and hence more silent?
1)Only if the minimum set rpm is 0%.
2)If the minimum set rpm is 50%, then it'll run at 50% if the cpu is 40C or under.
3)That's the wrong way to go about it with Ryzen; it does no good to get hung up on idle thermals with these cpus. As long as load thermals aren't ridiculous, that's all that matters.

kissela

Honorable
Jan 30, 2016
1)Only if the minimum set rpm is 0%.
2)If the minimum set rpm is 50%, then it'll run at 50% if the cpu is 40C or under.
3)That's the wrong way to go about it with Ryzen; it does no good to get hung up on idle thermals with these cpus. As long as load thermals aren't ridiculous, that's all that matters.
I got now a bit confused about the minimum. You wrote earlier that minimum would be set to 70% at 60C. I assumed that it would imply then that the fan is idle below 60C. Are there several minimums? Sorry for asking such basic stuff, I haven't adjusted the fan curves earlier but soon will be doing that so trying to learn.