3770k Weird heating issues on Stock Clock

Lew52

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Hey I'm new here but not new to the building game, I'd love to get some insight on a weird problem I'm having. I did my digging throughout the forums and nothing was really answering my questions

PC SPECS
3770k @ 4.2 (before heating issue)
H100 (now h100i)
Asus z77 sabertooth
32gigs corsair dominator ram
Evga 780ti

I'm a video editor(I edit my own work im a cinematographer as well) so a couple of nights ago i was rendering out a 4K clip of a movie I shot and noticed my heat temps were insanely high (95-100c) this has never happened before

So I thought oh I'm in trouble my h100 died so I took it apart dusted it not that much came out tried to run it again nothing so I tried reappling some thermal paste didn't work now I'm like okay this thing is dead for sure ended up going to frys

i picked up my new h100i (which wasn't new it was refurb because everything is open box at frys) so I did the new install pump is working I can feel the water really moving throughout the tubes but my core temp is still idling over or around 70c @ 1.6ghz

I tried reseating I tried removing thermal paste and reapply more reapplying less right now I'm just lost

TLDR; thought my h100 died bought a new cooler h100i still doesn't work tried everything inbetween my idle temp is still at 70c @ 1.6ghz idle instantly goes into 90s if there's load

plaintuts

Admirable
If you can,

Try removing the cpu from the socket then use compressed air to blow out the dust

The use 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean the cpu part that makes contact with the h100i

Apply a pea sized paste on the center of the cpu during reassembly

Lew52

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
I checked with both core temp and bios I watched in bios my temps rise to 80+ than I did the shut off I have better luck when my computer is idling desktop at 1.6ghz which makes it a constant 75c

plaintuts

Admirable
Can you still have the h100i replaced just to make sure that its definitely not the cooler? Or try it aon a different computer then check the temps

Because if the bios hardware monitor is reporting 70c on idle then that is bad.

Lew52

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Yeah I have a 2nd stream PC I can hook it up too and try but I'm like 99.9% certain the cooler is okay and performing the one I bought although refurbished seemed like everything was a go it was reading in corsair link as well