darkpower45

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Hey everyone i was curious to see if the Ati HD 5670 is better than my old gfx card the Ait HD 3870. Does anyone know which of the two is better?

Solution
Overall not worth it, give it a few more weeks/months and prices should come down and then he can get into the HD57xx range and that would be more worthwhile, but the HD5670 is just not much better in other things, and not really worth it for just DX11 at this time. When Alien vs PRedator comes out that would be when I would decide the overall worth of both an upgrade and the HD5670 in DX11.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Probably so.

If I remember the 5750 has performance comparable to the 4850 and then the 5770 has performance comparable to the 4870. So I'll assume the performance of the 5670 will be slightly inferior or similar performance to the 4830. Which is still a lot faster than the 3870.

darkpower45

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Oh i know its totally not worth upgrading, i have since upgraded my two 3870's for a 4870x2 but my friend is still using one of my 3870's (i put a aftermarket cooler on it so it is highly overclocked) and it seems to do him well. just seeing if there was a cheap upgrade that would let him play DX11

Overall not worth it, give it a few more weeks/months and prices should come down and then he can get into the HD57xx range and that would be more worthwhile, but the HD5670 is just not much better in other things, and not really worth it for just DX11 at this time. When Alien vs PRedator comes out that would be when I would decide the overall worth of both an upgrade and the HD5670 in DX11.

Solution

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I actually have two 3870s in CF... i usually only upgrade until i find a game i cannot play... usually it works out to about 2.5 years... Crysis made me upgrade to 3870... but that didn't work out either haha.

slevin kelevra

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
well coming from a 5670 owner! i am going to say HELL YEA. the 3870 is allot slower in ram speed because its ddr2 and not ddr5 which can be clocked at much higherspeeds! now i know speed isnt everything but the redwood GPU in the 5670 is a beast when overclocked! i payed 45 bucks for mine upgrading from a 4650 ddr2 which was just terrible and comparible to the 3870 in speed! i also recommend this card because you can overclock it to get a smashing 10 to 15 fps increase by pencil modding it! and trust me doing that is totally worth it, and the card handles it pretty well with stock cooler (sapphire cooler) i got my clocks stable at 1020/1220 using direct x 10 because like a post before 11 doesnt really handle really well! but like another person said there is only like 3 games out there that support 11 and most of which arent popular games for pc! another great aspect about the 5670 is that i can use my cpu to give it extra power using sapphire trix to make my votlage higher on my gpu and lower on my cpu! gives it an extra ommpphhh of power to be overclocked to higher speeds! i can runn every game up to date on high settings with 2x AA or 0 AA at a stunning 45 fps min and sometimes 60 fps considering the game! (MW2, GEARS, fallout 3, oblivion) the people who are giving you advice dont really know about this card that well so you missing out on the advantages you can get with a card that is hundreds of dollars less than theres that you cant see much of a difference on IN GAME! please google this 5670 overclockers club and search for me (Slevin Kelevra) and look at my specs and comments helping people on the volt mod pencil trick! its a simple task and totally worth the time and effort for only 40 bucks down the drain! you can also cross fire them to get = to the 5870 single! ive seen the benches and there incredible in CF just incredible for only 80 bucks too! this card is a beast for the price!

slevin kelevra

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
well coming from a 5670 owner! i am going to say HELL YEA. the 3870 is allot slower in ram speed because its ddr2 and not ddr5 which can be clocked at much higherspeeds! now i know speed isnt everything but the redwood GPU in the 5670 is a beast when overclocked! i payed 45 bucks for mine upgrading from a 4650 ddr2 which was just terrible and comparible to the 3870 in speed! i also recommend this card because you can overclock it to get a smashing 10 to 15 fps increase by pencil modding it! and trust me doing that is totally worth it, and the card handles it pretty well with stock cooler (sapphire cooler) i got my clocks stable at 1020/1220 using direct x 10 because like a post before 11 doesnt really handle really well! but like another person said there is only like 3 games out there that support 11 and most of which arent popular games for pc! another great aspect about the 5670 is that i can use my cpu to give it extra power using sapphire trix to make my votlage higher on my gpu and lower on my cpu! gives it an extra ommpphhh of power to be overclocked to higher speeds! i can runn every game up to date on high settings with 2x AA or 0 AA at a stunning 45 fps min and sometimes 60 fps considering the game! (MW2, GEARS, fallout 3, oblivion) the people who are giving you advice dont really know about this card that well so you missing out on the advantages you can get with a card that is hundreds of dollars less than theres that you cant see much of a difference on IN GAME! please google this 5670 overclockers club and search for me (Slevin Kelevra) and look at my specs and comments helping people on the volt mod pencil trick! its a simple task and totally worth the time and effort for only 40 bucks down the drain! you can also cross fire them to get = to the 5870 single! ive seen the benches and there incredible in CF just incredible for only 80 bucks too! this card is a beast for the price!