3870XT - PCi-e 4x?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Get CPU-Z and it should tell you.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
there are still faster cards tested on 1.0 though (reply to earlier)... the interface heavily depends on what game your playing as well. if the game isn't shipping a bunch of instructions to the cpu it's not going to matter as much, but if there's heavy ai or physics being sent to the cpu, then interface speed is more important. but for sheer graphics games it shouldn't be that bad...
and further more... how did you end up buying a 4x mobo anyway? i mean, i read about pci-e was in the drawing stages way back when, and it was projected at 16x. i really don't ever remember seeing anything less than 16x... but then again, i didn't pay attention when it was coming out either.
my suggestion to you is this... sell your whole rig for enough that you can just add a few bucks and do a whole new build.

denic

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

Are you serious?

My PC is about 2 months old.

I have a 4X PCi-e motherboard because my mobo has an AGP slot and a PCI-e slot. It's a hybrid motherboard.

I'm buying a new motherboard along with a HD3850 anyway...

My PC does not need selling, it's good enough for me.

E4600, 2GB Ram.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
yeah, i'm serious... because now you have an extra mobo laying around. and extra parts=wasted money... every pc i build is automatically for sale as soon as i build it. because most of the time, if i sell it within 6 months to a year, i can sell it for more than i paid for it and build something better. especially when the parts still have warranty on em. Just a thought. but hey, it's all on you. just advertise it as "thoroughly tested" haha.