Question 3900X availability

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
I have searched every square inch of the internet and I can't find a 3900X anywhere. It's getting ridiculous. Scalpers/Markup sellers/Ebay doesn't count and I dont trust it. Why has AMD not released a statement on this? Why are there no ETAs? Is there like a big conspiracy going on? I'm sittin on $3000 of parts and I dont have a CPU and my last nerve is almost frayed. Does anyone have ANY insight as to when we will see a 3900X in stock? I've been hammering on the refresh button every 5 minutes for the past 3 weeks and haven't got anything? I bet I've hit the refresh button probably a few thousand times by now. Someone has to know something.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 4, 2019
This begins to smell of process problems at TSC. They have a 7nm process, but it is in limited capacity and probably the yields are not great as the new process matures. It is unfortunate for those of us who committed based on promises of in stock end of July, for example. It's now the end of August, and the retailers are not getting the volumes they expected, and probably AMD is not getting the volume they expected.

I was hoping for an updated threadripper this year, but that clearly is not going to happen. At least AMD removed it from their calendar a while back.

There is a reason it's called the bleeding edge! Intel has been unable to transition to their new process node either. Hence the repeated 14nm refreshes. It looks like shrink and repeat has hit a significant snag.

InvalidError

Titan
This begins to smell of process problems at TSC. They have a 7nm process, but it is in limited capacity and probably the yields are not great as the new process matures.
Or simply that TSMC has high demand for 7nm stuff and AMD is only one customer on TSMC's back-order list. If AMD wants to jump TSMC's queue for whatever wafer starts may open up and catch up with demand before AMD's next lot gets to the top, it has to outbid everyone else for those starts.