Question 3900x High Temps

SpecOpsNick

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
I use the Ryzen Master to check my temps and right now as I am writing this post my temps are siting at 52.56 and when I try to play games it goes up to around 70 to 73ish. I also looked for threads to see if I can find a solution to at least not let my cpu get damaged from the heat and ran into a video posted by Jays2cents and he noted that the 3900x was set to high voltages and need to turn it down but I don't know how to do that and don't have any experience overclocking so I turned to Tom's Hardware to see if someone might be kind enough to help me solve my high temps issues I am having I would prefer of it was not overclocked at all.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
If you want to drop the temps further, go to Control Panel, Power Options and select Power Saver mode. This drops the CPU voltage from ~1.4 to about 0.95V. The temps will drop to about ~35-40 degrees. But Power Saver mode clamps down on the CPU, i.e. the speed is kept in check unless really needed. It wants to stay in the low voltage as much as possible. So if you are planning to work out the CPU, just change the plan to AMD Balanced or AMD High Performance as needed and revert to Power Saver when finished. That's what I do.

SpecOpsNick

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
If you want to drop the temps further, go to Control Panel, Power Options and select Power Saver mode. This drops the CPU voltage from ~1.4 to about 0.95V. The temps will drop to about ~35-40 degrees. But Power Saver mode clamps down on the CPU, i.e. the speed is kept in check unless really needed. It wants to stay in the low voltage as much as possible. So if you are planning to work out the CPU, just change the plan to AMD Balanced or AMD High Performance as needed and revert to Power Saver when finished. That's what I do.
I tried that but the voltage does not change at all Screenshot

As other mention already, those are normal temps for the Ryzen 9 3900X. In fact since youre onlyusing a 240mm AIO, I would dare to tell those are very good temps indeed, specially the load temps ~70°C.

Keep in mind that AMD and motherboard vendors are working on BIOS update and chipset drivers, so its not a bad option to try to keep your BIOS update to the lastest version available in your motherboard website. As for chipset drivers, always try to donwload them from AMD webpage (https://www.amd.com/en/support)

As for things to do, you could check inside the advanced tab on the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, and see if the "minimum processor cpu state" is set to 5%, this will make your cpu go to lower speed when idle (idle is when you leave your PC alone doing nothing, don't touch the mouse or watch a video in youtube, idle means doing nothing).

Now, one thing that sucks from the picture you posted is that your memory clock seems to be runing at only 2133MHz (1067 x 2), while your infinity fabric (fabric clock) is set at 1200MHz. RAM and Infinity Fabric should run at 1:1 ratio.

For example if your RAM is DDR4 3200MHz if should said: Memory clock: 1600, Fabric clock: 1600MHz

I think that you didn't turn ON your XMP memory speed profile in BIOS (if you build this PC). What memory did you bought?, or was this a prebuild PC?

Anyways in order to tell you more, we need more details like Motherboard brand and model, RAM brand and model, etc.

Cheers

SpecOpsNick

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
As other mention already, those are normal temps for the Ryzen 9 3900X. In fact since youre onlyusing a 240mm AIO, I would dare to tell those are very good temps indeed, specially the load temps ~70°C.

Keep in mind that AMD and motherboard vendors are working on BIOS update and chipset drivers, so its not a bad option to try to keep your BIOS update to the lastest version available in your motherboard website. As for chipset drivers, always try to donwload them from AMD webpage (https://www.amd.com/en/support)

As for things to do, you could check inside the advanced tab on the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, and see if the "minimum processor cpu state" is set to 5%, this will make your cpu go to lower speed when idle (idle is when you leave your PC alone doing nothing, don't touch the mouse or watch a video in youtube, idle means doing nothing).

Now, one thing that sucks from the picture you posted is that your memory clock seems to be runing at only 2133MHz (1067 x 2), while your infinity fabric (fabric clock) is set at 1200MHz. RAM and Infinity Fabric should run at 1:1 ratio.

For example if your RAM is DDR4 3200MHz if should said: Memory clock: 1600, Fabric clock: 1600MHz

I think that you didn't turn ON your XMP memory speed profile in BIOS (if you build this PC). What memory did you bought?, or was this a prebuild PC?

Anyways in order to tell you more, we need more details like Motherboard brand and model, RAM brand and model, etc.

Cheers
Alright I never got to update that. How do you know what type of Chipset you have?

Alright I never got to update that. How do you know what type of Chipset you have?

Well with that question Im guessing you didn't build the PC, right ?

As for how to know the chipset, the easiest way will be knowing the motherboard brand and model, but since I don't believe you have that information, the other way will be clicking the "Motherboard" tab in CPU-Z and look in there.

But be carefull what you do, before installing new chipset drivers is usually a good idea to uninstall the old ones.

I would first check what we told you, and see what the minimum processor state is set to?

SpecOpsNick

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
Well with that question Im guessing you didn't build the PC, right ?

As for how to know the chipset, the easiest way will be knowing the motherboard brand and model, but since I don't believe you have that information, the other way will be clicking the "Motherboard" tab in CPU-Z and look in there.

But be carefull what you do, before installing new chipset drivers is usually a good idea to uninstall the old ones.

I would first check what we told you, and see what the minimum processor state is set to?
I did build the pc the motherboard is a MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Wifi so I have to guess the chipset would be a AM4 X570?

Reactions: RodroX