[SOLVED] 3900x vs 3900xt

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Which of these 2 do you reccomend I buy? is the only difference between these 2 are that the xt doesn’t include a cooler and it is only 100mhz higher boost clock? Any other differences? If so seems like a unnoticeable difference, why would anyone by the xt? I can get the xt within $20 of the 3900x, however I am forced to buy a cooler = more money. If I do the 3900, I want to use the stock cooler if I can. If I don't like the temps, then only will I buy an aftermarket cooler. Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
@TechGuy75

There is no sane logic in buying XT over X for more money and without the cooler.
You can perfectly fine use the stock cooler of 3900X and never needing anything else.
Buy the cheapest version which is 3900X.

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
@TechGuy75

There is no sane logic in buying XT over X for more money and without the cooler.
You can perfectly fine use the stock cooler of 3900X and never needing anything else.
Buy the cheapest version which is 3900X.

Thats what I thought. Are the differences I listed the only ones? The xt only is faster on turbo? 100mhz more is not noticeable right? Any cache differences or other ways the xt is better than the 3900x?

about the cooler, yes, thats what I read, that it is pretty good but maybe not the best. I am willing to try it and can sell it if I don’t like it.

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
@TechGuy75,
Those are the only ones to my knowledge.
But even if there were more, fundamentally we're still looking at the same CPU.
Performance tests show almost nonexistent difference, and i can bet that in real time scenario you're not going to see any difference at all.
Plus you will need to buy a new cooler right away.
IMHO just buy 3900X

Thats what I thought. Are the differences I listed the only ones? The xt only is faster on turbo? 100mhz more is not noticeable right? Any cache differences or other ways the xt is better than the 3900x?

about the cooler, yes, thats what I read, that it is pretty good but maybe not the best. I am willing to try it and can sell it if I don’t like it.
3900XT is just high binned 3900x. What's even worse you may not even be able to get those 100MHz more if you loose on silicone lottery.
Even if you do get it, 100MHz may be noticeable only in borderline situations when running single core tasks. 3900x is powerful enough even without those 100MHz. As suggested above, good aftermarket cooler that can keep it up to 70c would do much better job.