Question 3900x vs 3950x

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonyzz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Should i go with 3900x or 3950x for hevc video encoding, is 3950x worth the extra price - i understand it has best binned silicon, better chance of silicon lottery, and that it runs a bit cooler than 3900x and consumes about the same in terms of power but, is it really worth it?

Every review and comparison seems to contradict what you said.

is that so? i beg you pardon but care to explain? the 50x has basically no performance improvements over the 00, aside from more cores, do you need that much really? op asked if it its worth it, and its not worth the extra price for whatever performance boost youll get even from encoding, the extra cores are there but so is the price.

if you are filthy rich, who am i to judge? worth it? no.

For most tasks no it's not worth it. But for someone who is a field that does use apps that are core intensive but doesnt have threadripper money it's a viable option.

The issue with the performance numbers floating around is that they use games which barely are utilizing 6 cores these day or consumer grade applications.

is that so? i beg you pardon but care to explain? the 50x has basically no performance improvements over the 00, aside from more cores, do you need that much really? op asked if it its worth it, and its not worth the extra price for whatever performance boost youll get even from encoding, the extra cores are there but so is the price.

if you are filthy rich, who am i to judge? worth it? no.
He asked if it was worth it for HEVC encoding. The extra cores and frequency definitely helps.

He asked if it was worth it for HEVC encoding. The extra cores and frequency definitely helps.

I totally agree, it does helps, but lets be resonable here.. would you buy a quadro nvidia RTX 8000 over an 2080ti even if you're a professional? i mean, a professional, you work with that for a living, and you dont own warner or disney....

its just my opinion now, the price of the 50x is too salty to justify going for it instead of the already fantastic 00...

I totally agree, it does helps, but lets be resonable here.. would you buy a quadro nvidia RTX 8000 over an 2080ti even if you're a professional? i mean, a professional, you work with that for a living, and you dont own warner or disney....

its just my opinion now, the price of the 50x is too salty to justify going for it instead of the already fantastic 00...
You can't compare a Quadro to a 2080 Ti they are completely different. A 2080 Ti is made for gaming. Many professional applications do not work or are less optimized for a 2080 Ti so your only choice is to buy a Quadro. We use Quadros at my work because the 2080 Ti driver doesn't support our applications. The Quadro has a special professional driver that is not available for the 2080 Ti. If the OP is making money out of his PC then the best parts should be chosen as faster=more money, the 3950X will pay itself and even more down the road.

We are not talking about a 3990X at 4000$, its only a 3950X at 150$ more than a 3900X.

If the OP is only encoding videos for personal use then yeah I agree that he doesn't need more than a 3900X.

Last edited:
Reactions: falcon291

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
You can't compare a Quadro to a 2080 Ti they are completely different. A 2080 Ti is made for gaming. Many professional applications do not work or are less optimized for a 2080 Ti so your only choice is to buy a Quadro. We use Quadros at my work because the 2080 Ti driver doesn't support our applications. The Quadro has a special professional driver that is not available for the 2080 Ti. If the OP is making money out of his PC then the best parts should be chosen as faster=more money, the 3950X will pay itself and even more down the road.

We are not talking about a 3990X at 4000$, its only a 3950X at 150$ more than a 3900X.

If the OP is only encoding videos for personal use then yeah I agree that he doesn't need more than a 3900X.

It is the point the price difference is not that much. But if you are buying that CPU, please do not buy TUF.

I have a 9700K do not think replacing it for the near future. But I would not buy any CPU less than 16 cores from now and on.

sonyzz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Be sure to get a good motherboard with good VRMs like the Asus Tuf X570 as the 3950X uses around 200amps.
I already bought Asus Chrosshair 8 Hero and 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3600mHz ram kit back in august, after watching reviews and buildzoid's motherboard breakdown
View: https://youtu.be/CimAU9GMu7Q
(where he mentions that VRM on that board is so efficient that 3950x could be run without heatsink on VRM and only overclocked 3950x which would take 400A might give VRM's enough load so they would be needing heatsink) - was waiting on cpu (due to shortage) and bios fixes but now when both cpu's got like 50gbp off the inital price i still can't decide which one to go with, i guess will need to do as my friend says: get the cpu of amazon (as i have gift card to use for purchasing lol) and if it doesn't perform how i want it - return get money back and buy other cpu....maybe such option should be viable because i know that software i use for hevc video encoding can max out 8 cores 16 threads (tried with friends ryzen 3700x) but i don't know if it goes above that as none people i know have the mentioned software nor cpu's with more than 8 cores...

I already bought Asus Chrosshair 8 Hero and 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3600mHz ram kit back in august, after watching reviews and buildzoid's motherboard breakdown
View: https://youtu.be/CimAU9GMu7Q
(where he mentions that VRM on that board is so efficient that 3950x could be run without heatsink on VRM and only overclocked 3950x which would take 400A might give VRM's enough load so they would be needing heatsink) - was waiting on cpu (due to shortage) and bios fixes but now when both cpu's got like 50gbp off the inital price i still can't decide which one to go with, i guess will need to do as my friend says: get the cpu of amazon (as i have gift card to use for purchasing lol) and if it doesn't perform how i want it - return get money back and buy other cpu....maybe such option should be viable because i know that software i use for hevc video encoding can max out 8 cores 16 threads (tried with friends ryzen 3700x) but i don't know if it goes above that as none people i know have the mentioned software nor cpu's with more than 8 cores...
Yea the Crosshair is better if you can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.