Question 3960x Wake-from-Sleep and Cold-Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2020
Hello,

I've had a strange problem with a new-build AMD Threadripper 3960x / Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master / Windows build having problems cold-booting and restarting from sleep, but once running operation in Windows 10 and e.g. MemTest appeared to be ok. I have managed to find a sub-optimal fix this problem, more on that below, but even though I can live with this situation as-is I thought it would be worthwhile reaching out for thoughts from others.

Here's what would happen: the PC was getting 'stuck' at some very early part of the motherboard / bios startup routine -- always at an undocumented / 'reserved' two-digit code -- mostly '21' when restarting from sleep and mostly '04' when from a cold-boot. As far as I know, it would stay stuck indefinitely without intervention (with all fans on 100% - ugh)... the only thing that seemed to get it unstuck would be switching the power off at the wall, and immediately switching back on again: this would continue the boot process without pressing further buttons on the pc, but would lose bios settings such as XMP and virtualization settings (and it would be a very slow boot).
Interestingly, Windows restarts (e.g. after updates) would not tend to experience any issues with the boot.

Here's the hardware:
  • AMD Threadripper 3960x;
  • Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master motherboard;
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-29200C18 3600MHz Quad Channel Kit;
  • 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2 boot drive;
  • Corsair AX760 PSU;
  • EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 Super graphics card;
  • ASUS ROG Ryujin Performance AIO CPU Liquid Cooler 240mm;
  • Miscellaneous SSD and HDD, Blu-ray drives.
I updated the bios to the latest revision 'F5c' and installed Windows from scratch and applied windows update and most if not all drivers from the mobo manufacturer's support page.

The Fix (ish)
I went through many settings in the BIOS following Gigabyte support recommendations... without positive results; so on a gut feeling I decided to try swapping out the RTX2070 Super (requires 8+6 PCIe Power) with an NVidia Quadro P600 (requires no additional power).
Since then; cold boots, restarts AND wake-from-sleep has been perfect... XMP has applied and run hours of MemTest tests ok... but I don't have my awesome graphics card!

Almost all the parts of this build are new, but as it happens I had used the RTX2070Super card with the AX760 PSU on another pc for a few weeks before moving it to this new build ... so I am relatively comfortable that the PSU and 2070 card are working and compatible... and that PSU had successfully run twin GTX980s so I felt it really ought to be able to handle the 3960x and a single graphics card.

Having currently got it working, a couple of interesting notes may be:
  • With the 2070super card installed, any attempt to sleep the computer left what I think was the 'Boot' LED lit on the motherboard... this is not the case now it is working, and when in sleep mode the LED is not lit... that sort of suggests to me it wasn't even properly getting into sleep mode?
I'd welcome any suggestions!
Nij

May 12, 2020
I tried to switch in a GTX980 in place of the P600 (the GTX980 requires 8+6 pin power) and the behaviour reverted to this odd incomplete sleep/ wake behaviour.
Hmmm... is this a power issue somehow related to the fact this board uses 2x8pin cpu power? Or is it a compatibility issue with nvidia 'power' graphics cards?

May 12, 2020
In the end I RMA'd the motherboard and unfortunately, as I left it more than 28 days after purchase, I did not get 'DOA' treatment and instead had to wait about 4 weeks for the board to go back to Gigabyte.

I have finally received a replacement board, and so far things seem to be working well.

Jan 9, 2022
In the end I RMA'd the motherboard and unfortunately, as I left it more than 28 days after purchase, I did not get 'DOA' treatment and instead had to wait about 4 weeks for the board to go back to Gigabyte.

I have finally received a replacement board, and so far things seem to be working well.
Hi NijNijNij, did the replacement board fix your problem forever?
I seem to have the same problem with my AMD Threadripper 3960x / TRX40

Status
Not open for further replies.