Question 3990x with ASUS prime trx40

jayleonis

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
Anyone running the 3990x on the ASUS prime trx40 pro?

I have been running the 3970x with no issues but see some reviews stating this board is entry level and May not hand the 3990x well

All evidence seems to suggest that it can handle the 3990x fine, so long as you are using stock settings and that includes for the memory. The CPU support page for the TRx40 Pro states that it only supports stock memory configurations. I don't know if that is accurate, because a lot of those "notes" and other "claims" by users are only relevant for early BIOS versions and that often changes as newer BIOS releases become available. And yet, the OEM rarely changes that information to reflect that even though it would make sense to do so and not doing so makes no sense at all. Still, it's just laziness. They often don't go back and change a LOT of things that are stated or claimed from early testing even after it's been improved, changed or fixed, so, grain of salt.

So long as you have good CPU and case cooling and are cognizant of the potential for memory issues especially if you are running a full boat of high speed DIMMs, I think you should be ok. If you don't have good cooling you might see some issues. I'd also suggest that having a VERY good power supply is terribly important with this kind of configuration as well, as you likely are aware.

And this seems to suggest that you likely have very similar all core loads with all of these TR CPUs seem as though they probably use a similar amount of power based on the reviews I've looked at in the past.

Unsurprisingly, the 280W TDP 3990X demands the same amount of power as the other 280W TDP Threadripper chips – around 400W under heavy all-core load.

While I haven't run this particular setup, clearly Kitguru, Hexit and some others have, and they are usually pretty damn accurate in their findings.