[SOLVED] 3com 4200g and Google wifi

Apr 23, 2020
Hi everyone.

Looking for some help. I was looking for a new switch as my 4 port unmanaged one wasn't big enough anymore.

I managed to pick up a 3com 4200g 12port switch on eBay for £12. Very much overkill for my requirements, I don't need a managed switch but it was cheaper than any 12 port unmanaged so thought I'd give it a go.

Anyway I've come to installing it and ran into issues. I was hoping it's default configuration would work like an unmanaged switch, but when I set it up I get no connectivity.

Cable modem - Google WiFi main - 4200g - 3x wired Google WiFi and 1 tp link ead225 outdoor.

I plug my laptop into the switch I get an IP but can't ping the gateway or the outside world.

Any help or pointers would be great thanks

Solution
That is a manged switch which can have all kinds of fancy stuff defined. Most times it would be something like vlans that would cause issue like you see.

Buying them used off ebay many times there is a old configuration in them.

3com is so old I forget how you reset them or got into them. Many of these switches you had to configure via a console port. The problem is the cables used for console ports were not always standard. They all were some form of serial connections but they many times use different pinouts.

This is a find the manual and read it. Your first goal should be to try to factory reset the device. Unlike a lot of consumer equipment these devices generally don't have a reset button. Most you had to do...
That is a manged switch which can have all kinds of fancy stuff defined. Most times it would be something like vlans that would cause issue like you see.

Buying them used off ebay many times there is a old configuration in them.

3com is so old I forget how you reset them or got into them. Many of these switches you had to configure via a console port. The problem is the cables used for console ports were not always standard. They all were some form of serial connections but they many times use different pinouts.

This is a find the manual and read it. Your first goal should be to try to factory reset the device. Unlike a lot of consumer equipment these devices generally don't have a reset button. Most you had to do something via the console connection.

Solution