3D Displays May Be Hazardous to Young Children

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

On topic..Dissapointed with this news, I love going to the Cinema to watch 3d movies with my my son (4) and daughter (8) and we have been going since they have started 3d. We go at least once every couple of months, now I will have to do some research into this to see just how much of a risk it is!

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]On topic..Dissapointed with this news, I love going to the Cinema to watch 3d movies with my my son (4) and daughter (8) and we have been going since they have started 3d. We go at least once every couple of months, now I will have to do some research into this to see just how much of a risk it is![/citation]I'm no doctor, but wearing an eye-patch hours at a time every few days while I was 5-6 years old didn't make me regain my stereoscopic vision, I don't see why 2hrs every month would screw it up. I think people are mostly "affraid" for TVs since children spend hours in front of them every day instead of enjoying the full 3D and more-than-HD world around them.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I can think of a couple issues with 3D and children but would be interested in more details about the current research.

One is that stereoscopic vision is the primary means be which we perceive depth but it's not the only one. Our brains use a number of visual clues as well has (up close) focus depth to augment what we see. I can imagine that tricking the eye with a stereoscopic image constantly that was really only six or seven feet away could mess up the way children learn to interpret and collate those other clues.

allrock

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I would be intrested in seeing a comparson of 3D imaging systems on the market , active shutter , passive systems , like polarized and filter glasses types , and the system we dont hear as much about L And R continous 3D systems which show both images at the same time (using polarized glasses to seperate each image to the proper eye) , there is also head mounted displays with 2 seperate screans which can disply images to both eyes at the same time, see which system produces the best image quality and has the least eye strain and physiological issues

blueflames24

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Well the kiddos wont b happy about this but its for their well being anyways kids as small as 7 shouldnt b allowed 2 much Gaming exposure they should b made go outside and play atleast would reduce the obesity rates

blueflames24

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Well the kiddos wont b happy about this but its for their well being anyways kids as small as 7 shouldnt b allowed 2 much Gaming exposure they should b made go outside and play atleast would reduce the obesity rates

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]I think the issue would stem from the "tricks" movie makers use to make certain parts of the image jump way out of the screen (more then normal).Its not generating a true stereoscopic image as the brain would normally see. If your brain is still learning how to interpret stereoscopic images and it starts seeing unrealistic ones then it will start creating neurological paths for these special instances as if they were real. This could harm your normal visions interpretations.So if your brains pathways are already set, it won't bother you. If you're young and still building them then you could risk building ones tuned to movies and not real life.[/citation]
Hes right. The brain tends to use "short cuts' by generating the image it expects to see rather than what you are actually seeing. Thats how optical illusions work. In small kids whose brains arent fully functoning, this can cause a lot of problems.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Young children should be running around outside anyways.[/citation]
[citation][nom]ecnovaec[/nom]it makes sense. When I was a kid, kids used to actually play outside and be active. Most of the outdoor sports we played were in fact in 3D, and were quite hazardous. We would end up sore, sweaty, and in good physical shape. Definitely not something today's youth is ready for[/citation]
I love hearing parents say this while their kids are glued to their PSP's DS's or cell phones.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
The shutter glasses with different times thing has severe compromised continuity in it's input to our brain. It's amazing that this technology isn't being ditched in favour of circular polarized glasses.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

Then I suppose you (and many others here) haven't seen this article posted back in May ("Blu-ray 3d On The PC" under the Graphics category on the main page).

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Young children should be running around outside anyways.[/citation]

So young children should never watch a movie? Regardless if its 3D or not?

gibdo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
This is old news for Nintendo. When the Virtual Boy was released back in 1995, it came with a disclaimer in the box that they discouraged use by children under the age of 7 because it may suffer damage to their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.