News 3D Print a Steam Deck: Valve Releases Official CAD Files

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
This is quite amazing for the long term viability of Steam Decks. Valve surely has mods and experimentation in mind but I look at this as a "goldmine" for long term support. Having owned portable gaming systems in the past, the plastic body and bezels are usually the first things to get scuffed and damaged. Even if I never personally printed a plastic Deck body myself to replace one that had started chipping, it probably increases the quality of 3rd party plastic bodys/bezels for the Steam Deck as well so I could buy one online(even after Valve inevitably stops making them one day) and have little to worry about. Having also bought all sorts of plastic 3rd party parts which were not originally modeled,(And I don't even mean gaming gear here. Car parts and all sorts of things can be named here) I've seen my fair share of things that snap in weirdly and have a little overlap and other weird quirks.

I wish more gaming companies did things like this over the past decades. It seems like just a few months ago Sony was raking some company over the coals for making panels for their PS5 consoles. I'm sure this will lead more quickly to 3rd party bezel makers for Steam Decks, since these look to be literal blueprints.

Comparing Valve here, to Sony, it's just shameful. So shameful.

Last edited:

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
At whats speeds are you printing? I'm getting around 11hours on my tevo tornado at 80mm/sec with 0.3mm layers.

Im doing 50mm/s at 0.2mm layers, 10% infill. I just swapped out the stock motherboard for a fully silent 4.2.7 board earlier in the week, so i needed a stress test. I figured 30 hours of this would be a good endurance run

Reactions: artk2219

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
I just bought a Max, like a week ago.

Abandoned my earlier CraneQuad.

it's an excellent 3d printer. basically, a bigger and nicer ender 3 pro that is mostly assembled in the box. you get the glass bed, anti-backlash nut on the lead screw and a partially silent mainboard. the x and y axis have silent stepper drivers, the z and extruder do not. one safety upgrade that you'll want to do as early as is convenient, is put ferrules on the high current cables in the motherboard section. they're tinned with solder before being put into the terminal block and over time that can lead to increased resistance and possibly even a fire.

USAFRet

Titan
it's an excellent 3d printer. basically, a bigger and nicer ender 3 pro that is mostly assembled in the box. you get the glass bed, anti-backlash nut on the lead screw and a partially silent mainboard. the x and y axis have silent stepper drivers, the z and extruder do not. one safety upgrade that you'll want to do as early as is convenient, is put ferrules on the high current cables in the motherboard section. they're tinned with solder before being put into the terminal block and over time that can lead to increased resistance and possibly even a fire.
What filament do you mostly use, PLA, PETG, other?
With the CraneQuad (when it was working), I had great results with PETG.

Reactions: btmedic04

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
What filament do you mostly use, PLA, PETG, other?
With the CraneQuad (when it was working), I had great results with PETG.

Awesome, I've been meaning to build one of those, but I haven't had the time lately.

I primarily print in PLA, HTPLA and PETG while I'm slowly setting up my ender 3v2 for nylon and polycarbonate. I just need a higher temp thermistor or thermocouple, a firmware update with higher temp ranges and need to build a heated enclosure for it.

USAFRet

Titan
Awesome, I've been meaning to build one of those, but I haven't had the time lately.
Well, the company that sold them (M3D) is now defunct.
Screwed over a lot of people during their initial kickstarter type rollout for the Quad.

Some people got theirs, some didn't, even after they were selling them via the normal retail channel.
Total lack of communication from the company.

I had about an 18 month wait before mine magically appeared on the front porch.

If this was 3 weeks ago, I could have sold you a whole box of parts.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Well, the company that sold them (M3D) is now defunct.
Screwed over a lot of people during their initial kickstarter type rollout for the Quad.

Some people got theirs, some didn't, even after they were selling them via the normal retail channel.
Total lack of communication from the company.

I had about an 18 month wait before mine magically appeared on the front porch.

If this was 3 weeks ago, I could have sold you a whole box of parts.

ooof, well i guess that means i wont be building one now :( c'est la vie i suppose. maybe ill do one of these guys to tinker around with

The #NanoLongRange by Dave_C_FPV - Thingiverse