Question 3D printer issues ?

Blake_40

Honorable
Feb 18, 2017
hi, so i recently bought a 3D printer and it has been working great for months. but recently it has started printing and then like 30 percent in it will disconnect the usb cable and the reconnect which effectively cancels the print. i print straight from my computer, i have tried using a different computer all together, i have tried using different usb ports and different cables. does any one have any ideas for why this is happening? i also didnt know where to post this question since there is no category for printer on this site. thank you.

Blake_40

Honorable
Feb 18, 2017
What 3d printer do you have? What kind of computer is running this? Desktop, laptop, raspberry pi Have you updated the firmware on the printer?
it is a biqu b1, and i was running it originally with my main desktop. but i tried with my laptop as well and still does the same thing. i havent updated the firmware as i dont know how. ive looked up youtube tutorials and i still am not sure how to update the firmware.

Do you hear the USB disconnect before the machine stops running or the machine stop running and then hear the USB disconnect. Have you tried to print just from the SD card to see if it will finish a print or if there's actually an issue with the printer itself.

hi, so i recently bought a 3D printer and it has been working great for months. but recently it has started printing and then like 30 percent in it will disconnect the usb cable and the reconnect which effectively cancels the print. i print straight from my computer, i have tried using a different computer all together, i have tried using different usb ports and different cables. does any one have any ideas for why this is happening? i also didnt know where to post this question since there is no category for printer on this site. thank you.

go into windows control panel, find device manager,
find the USB host, right mouse click to bring up the properties, go to the power management tab.
find the option to let windows turn off the device to save power and make sure that it is not checked.

you will want to check the power management setting for each device in the chain from the usb port, then the usb hub that it connects to,
(some devices can have hubs connected to usb ports that are connected to another hub. (a chain of devices)

windows did updates to try to save more power on devices by going into lower power states. setting the device to run in high power modes would also prevent the ports from disconnecting.

if everything was working correctly the port should not power down. Often you have to do a bios update, cpu chipset update and a usb driver or firmware update to get proper functioning.

other errors that I can think of depend on what USB port is being connected to ( mainly usb 3.x ports on the back of GPU cards)

windows generic usb drivers are updated via windows update. Often there are bugs bios versions that are exposed when these updates are instlled. (fixed with bios updates from motherboard vendor)
this tool will sometimes show errors in the USB ports.
USB Device Tree Viewer (uwe-sieber.de)

There are also internal USB logs that might show why the ports disconnected. Most likely they were told to power down by the power management.

sometimes this will show why:
start cmd.exe as an admin and run
powercfg.exe /energy
then look at the produced report

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS