News 3dfx To Return, Claims Twitter Account With No Evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that 3DFX was absorbed by NVidia many years ago there's no chance that this'll happen. Unless NVidia decides to resurrect the name for a new product line (also unlikely).
Well the trademark is abandoned, for 3dfx interactive since 2004 for just 3dfx the last one expired in 2016, so either nvidia did a terrible job or didn't even bother acquire it in the first place.
Anybody can pay a fee and register the names for new businesses.
https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/show...h&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Well the trademark is abandoned, for 3dfx interactive since 2004 for just 3dfx the last one expired in 2016, so either nvidia did a terrible job or didn't even bother acquire it in the first place.
Anybody can pay a fee and register the names for new businesses.
https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4807:3o97q7.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~:=PARA1$LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=3dfx&p_tagrepl~:=PARA2$COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

Nvidia didn't care, nor had any reason to. The only thing worth anything among those assets were the 3 patents granted to 3Dfx.
The brand itself was worthless by the time 3Dfx went under. Quite frankly the first generation of their GPUs were unmatched, second generation was overpriced and third generation were hardly worth the bother. Combine it with how they treated their board partners and customers alike, their fate was much deserved.

Jun 19, 2021
I'd reconsider lau8ghing the return off. Thursday is tomorrow and 20 years can make for a lot of silent work. Tomorrow will be here soon, and yes I'm pretty confident about the authenticity of the TWEET

Jun 19, 2021
Lamented GPU maker 3dfx could be about to launch a comeback, but it's a rumor that requires extra seasoning.

3dfx To Return, Claims Twitter Account With No Evidence : Read more
I'm a nobody, but I am a very old and perhaps wise nobody with maybe some reliable info that bodes well for a ressurrection of 3Dfx. Lord knows the gfx manufacturing community could use an infusion of competition to the gpu market like AMD brought to the cpu market. Let's just wait, tomorrow is Thursday and grand things are in the offing. But then I'm just a nobody. What could I possibly know?

Jun 19, 2021
Be patient, less jaded and wait and see, remember AMD was practicaly bankrupt before introducing Ryzen, no one is laughing at them anymore, and they have caused Intel to start competing again. And RDNA3 is rocking Nvidia's boat as well. The infusion of competition can only mean consumers benefit from all the newly regenerated innovation. There are some truly amazing things coming soon to compute performance. You will probably be amazed. And I know the direction its coming from. Forget about I9's and R9's, it's going to take Threadrippers for desktops and EPYC's in the commercial market to really leverage it; mark my words, grasshopper!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.