3DRudder Aims To Use Your Feet As Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
So if I understand this correctly, the device is basically a large, foot-controlled analog stick plus a rotating-the-stick-itself channel? It certainly opens up a lot of possibilities (I'm imagining a game where you can control each individual step your character in a game makes directly with your feet...), although it's not exactly new tech. An additional feature I would be interested in seeing is force sensors where the feet go - classic xbox joysticks can be "clicked down" for the typical sprint switch (and in most FPS games, the knife button). In this dedicated piece of hardware, however, I can see potential for less binary input that could give game developers a lot of neat options for providing more direct control over their characters.

One of the problems games face today is that while the capability for direct control over game avatars could definitely be put in games, precise control requires precise, detailed input - something a classic mouse + keyboard combination can't provide very well without being very difficult and un-intuitive to use. And while the obvious end solution is omni-treadmills, VR headsets, and motion-tracking sensors all over the player (as well as several cameras), that won't be practical for a long time. Until then, game makers have to keep appealing to the lowest common denominator - keyboard and mouse.

I'd love to have that option. I currently use (when I can) the pedals of my G27 for some things. It's really interesting the possibilities it brings to "control".

Now, I think this is more than what we do need, but can't hurt to have more options.

Cheers!

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Wow this is way late to the game! (pun intended)

I made one myself in like 2003 to play Half-Life with (for strafing and reloading) I used the innards of a guitar effects peddle board and wired it up to the internals of a keyboard, then assigned the keys.

There is still an interest for this? lol :D

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I don't really see the market, and I think the design is not ergonomically sound.
Using pedals sounds good, but turning it requires the users to be in an uncomfortable seating position. For just pedals, the design is lacking.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I made one myself in like 2003 to play Half-Life with (for strafing and reloading) I used the innards of a guitar effects peddle board and wired it up to the internals of a keyboard, then assigned the keys.

That...sounds pretty awesome. Shoulda made more and sold 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.