Question 3dsmax viewport slows down when multiple instances open on i9 9900k

Jul 22, 2019
Hallo everyone

I've been having a lot of trouble with running multiple instances of 3D Studio Max 2019 on my newly built i9.

Specs of my i9 9900k:

Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz Octa Core 14nm Coffee Lake Socket LGA1151 Desktop CPU
G.Skill F4-3200C16D-32GVK Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 1.35V Black Desktop Memory
ASRock Z390 Extreme4 Intel Z390 LGA1151 ATX Desktop Motherboard
Antec HCG-850 Gamer Extreme 850W 80 Plus Gold Certified Fully-Modular Desktop Power Supply
Mushkin MKNSSDPL250GB-D8 Pilot 250GB 3D TLC NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 Solid State Drive
Seagate ST2000DM008 Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Phanteks PH-TC14PE 140mm White PWM Aluminium & Copper Dual-Fan Premium High-End CPU Cooler

I've also got a geforce GTX 1080 as my graphics card in this computer.

When the build was ready I immediately installed Windows 10 Home Edition and updated all my drivers.
I installed 3DS Max 2019 and updated it to the latest service pack 2019.3
I've also installed Vray

The problem:
Running one instance of 3dsmax is fine, and the rendering speed is a huge upgrade to my previous PC but as soon as I open a second instance of 3dsmax the whole program becomes sluggish and when I open a third instance it becomes unworkable. It lags and everything slows down to a point that I have to close down to having only one instance open. It also affects other applications like photoshop and sketchup.

Now I know a lot of people might say that you shouldn't have that many instances of a program open but before I bought the i9-9900k I've been using the following PC with no issues whatsoever. I used to permanently run 2 instances of 3dsmax, sketchup, photoshop and CAD :

Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8CPUs), ~3.9GHz
16 GB RAM
Geforce GTX 980Ti

As you can see from my old PC, it's inferior in any way to the new i9 that I've built yet when it comes to 3DSmax application/viewport performance it's much better.

I've been searching all over on the internet for solutions to this. I've reinstalled windows again, reinstalled 3dsmax to original settings without any service packs, changed my viewport drivers in 3dsmax, tested it one just one monitor (using a dual monitor setup), reinstalled all display drivers, basically anything I can think of and the problem still persists. I've done benchmarks and it seems fine. A bit below expectations in certain areas but overall much faster than my old i7.

Looking at my performance on taskmanager while running 3 instances of 3dsmax, nothing seems out of the ordinary there. CPU at 12% RAM at 30% etc yet I can barely work on 3dsmax at the moment due to the sluggishness.

I'm at a total loss as to why my i9 performance is so much worse than my old i7 when it comes to using multiple instances of 3dsmax. It's as if the single core performance (used for working on the program etc) is much worse than the single core performance of the old i7. Yet it excels and does an amazing task at the multi core performance (rendering) which is much faster than the old i7.

The only conclusion I can draw is that somewhere something must be bottlenecking, maybe my motherboard isn't that great with the i9 9900k or something isn't communicating properly. It could also just be an application problem with 3dsmax, but I'm just speculating.

I really would like any sort of advice on what it could be or if anyone else got the same problem. It's driving me insane, as it really shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2019
Hi, Not sure about the issue, but I'd try two things: testing with single RAM installed and, if still the same, removing the SSD and installing everything on the HDD.

Thanks.

I will try a test by removing one of the RAM modules and then running it on 16GB.

Do you think that the SSD might be giving issues with the programs and Windows installed on there?
On my previous PC (the i7) I've also installed everything on that SSD without any problems.

TRENDING THREADS