3rd homebuild unlucky!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

markbowyer8

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Well, I finally have what I hope is a resolution. I haven't had much time to spend with my pc but finally got time to mess around with it today.

It was running OK with 1 stick of RAM and having tested all 4 sticks thoroughly I was just about ready to pull the thing apart and RMA my mobo, but as a total stab I upped the RAM voltage to 2.1v and tried with 2 sticks: Viola no more restarts.
Thanks Roadrunner for the idea. I did try it up to 2.0V but the increases in the bios settings after that were in red, which scared me from doing it!!
My ram is supposed to be able to run on 1.8 so I still think my mobo isn't 100%. I haven't added the other two sticks yet so I may have to up it some more.

Anyway, Thanks for all help and suggestions.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Which exact model of OCZ ram do you have? Every model except one on Newegg is listed at 2.1V or higher for 2x1gb PC2 6400. And that 1 is the Platinum rev 2 listed as 1.9-2.1V. What frequency and CL is your ram running at? Use CPUz to check.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Yea, I too have OCZ ram and I had to up the voltage when I first put my rig together. My ram basically requires something above 2.0 v. I found that out when I tried to install windows and my machine kept freezing.
Another thing you could do, although I don't know why you would, is decrease the ram speed. For some reason I set my ram down to 667mhz instead of the stock 800mhz. That fixed it too, but adding more voltage doesn't hurt.

Congrats on finding the problem!

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Whenever you run four sticks of RAM you almost always have to supply them with more voltage, most mobo's think that anything higher than 1.8 is either in the yellow or red. I wouldn't worry about it because you can't expect your RAM to recieve 1.8 volts x 4 sticks set at 1.8 volts. Resistance is the problem here.