3TB Drives & Unallocated space

Aucun

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hello, I have a 3TB Seagate drive but my motherboard can't support the full 3TB's as the bios has no update for it. What I'm looking to do is, leave the space used by the OS as is, then format the left over 760gb's as a "new drive" basically using it for storage under a different label. Is this possible?

I've tried using Disk Management but I have no option to format the space, how can I make use of this space?

Is there an option to create a new simple volume in that space? (a volume must be created in the unallocated space before you can format it, you're jumping the gun).

If there is no such option, then the capacity limit probably applies per physical drive, not per volume.

@Aucun, you didn't specify the OS, but if you are using Vista or later, and if your drive is a secondary, non-booting HDD, then you could still make use of all 3TB provided that you have the latest SATA drivers and that you use GPT partitioning rather than MBR.

Otherwise, if you are using Windows XP, you could still access all 3TB by using DiscWizard to setup the remaining 745GiB as a "virtual" physical drive.

See http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/3TB-Cuda-XT-Install-INCLUDING-EFi-amp-STORAGE-solutions/td-p/104448