Question 3TB HDD Issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gary915

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
So, upon shuffling around with my drives, I found that my (originally NTFS 3TB harddrive) now shows up as a FAT32, in the partition wizard all 3TB is somehow still there, but only 300mb usable in my file explorer.

What I did was install a new NVME 2TB drive onto my motherboard. This means that my current set up is:
-One main 500gb boot NVME
-One secondary 2TB NVME (Fresh)
-One 500gb SSD (Sata)
-One 2TB Harddrive (NTFS, SATA)
-One 3TB Harddrive (Originally NTFS, now FAT32)

I dont know what the issue is, but the only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with usable sata busses.

I have a Z390 Auorus Pro. 6 Sata slots. Upon using both NVME drives, SATA 1, 4, and 5 become unusuable, but 0, 2 and 3 remain usable. That is all available info I have. Any ideas? Ive never seen a HDD magically transform to another format, so my only guess right now is that my computer is only accessing a reserve partition on the drive instead of my main NTFS partition.

Switch the order of these two steps, ie perform a Restore before an Insert:

Highlight the Gary 3TB NTFS volume and click Insert to reinstate this partition/volume.

Highlight the Gary 3TB NTFS volume, click Edit and select "Restore Boot Sector from the Copy ...".

DMDE is complaining about the lack of a "B" in the Indicators column for the Gary 3TB NTFS volume.

"B" = boot sector
"C" = copy of boot sector
"F" = File system ($MFT for NTFS)
"E" = partition table entry

Last edited:

Gary915

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015

Gary915

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
Excellent. Those other volumes are just phantoms. Sectors 7588 and 7641 seem to contain something that looks like a boot sector, but obviously isn't (232TB?). That's why the "Bs" are underlined.
I see. Very interesting. So all should be good otherwise? I shouldnt touch anything else in regards to the sectors that look like boot sectors?

I think all should be OK. You can actually use DMDE to view the contents of those sectors if you wish. However, it looks to me as if the 367MB volume was not filled with FAT32 data, only initialised. I would backup your data nevertheless. Your results with File Explorer will now be the same as if you had recovered the files with DMDE.

I think all should be OK. You can actually use DMDE to view the contents of those sectors if you wish. However, it looks to me as if the 367MB volume was not filled with FAT32 data, only initialised. I would backup your data nevertheless. Your results with File Explorer will now be the same as if you had recovered the files with DMDE.
this looks like drive was slapped in some external device which attemted to format it, never saw anything like this...ms would just RAW it

Gary915

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
this looks like drive was slapped in some external device which attemted to format it, never saw anything like this...ms would just RAW it
Yeah... I dont know why what happened happened. I simply installed a new NVME drive, which took up the SATA slot for the HDD, so I had to shutdown the pc, and reconnect it to another SATA slot. I turned the PC on, and voila, everything was more screwed in that HDD than id ever seen.

I think the only possibility is that when I formatted my NVME drive, windows attempted to format the HDD as well since they were, during that point, on the same SATA bus, but I have no real idea.

TRENDING THREADS