3tb seagate 746gb found after external corrupt

May 18, 2015
Hi all, first time poster and need some help, this topic has been answered on several places but mine is completely different. I can usually handle my own on pc's but this one I managed to break beyond my knowledge...

3TB barracuda external hdd. worked fine until the power cable was pulled out. the hdd then reported as raw data 3tb. I removed it from the casing as the power cable does not work anymore and plug it into sata port. everything works but still raw. I got testdisk and attempted to repair or atleast recover my files. quick scan finished, and attempted to repair when the pc shuts down in the middle of the repair. restart pc and it does not boot. remove the hdd and I get a bios error - overclocking settings prevented you from rebooting. so I reset bios settings and it boots up now without the hdd.

problems: pc does not boot up when the hdd is connected with SATA cable, when removed pc boots up fine. I connected the hdd to a Toshiba external casing which houses my 1.5 tb in. pc boots with the 1.5tb connected with SATA. so the mobo / cables are fine. pc does not boot when the external is switched on with the 3tb or lets me go into bios(same problem as connecting via SATA). disconnect the external, go into bios, disable usb connections for boot device. now the pc boots with the external connected. So I rather tried EASUS and tried to recover my files. windows 7 32bit picks up 746gb raw drive. easus picks up 746gb, 354gb, 376gb. recovered some files but they are all appearing as corrupt. so nothing recovered, i believe this is because only 746gb is picked up.

so now i am stuck. cant boot the pc with the 3tb connected to sata to try and format through windows installation disc. tried disc management but nothing, everywhere it shows as 746gb. formatted the drive through windows but only 746gb is now ntfs format. 2tb is still lost.

at this point i am not so worried about the files but more to try and save my hdd. I need this to work. don't have any other external casings to test if the casing can maybe not support 3tb.

to the most important question, everything that happened was due to me leaving a pc in the hands of a 2 year old. All I wanted to do was finish the quick scan and move on the deep scan, but he jumped the gun, wanted to leave the repair and hope for the best, but he decided otherwise... :)

So any help so i can restore this to 3tb and get this drive working as internal, since i don't have a casing anymore. or if it will work on the casing for the 1.5tb.

i have read and tried most of the things that people suggested but since this was damaged by software, i believe the resolution will be different.

thanks to anyone willing to help and please have patience, I post at work and my pc is at home so there will be a delay in my responses.

Welcome, Wayne Van Jaarsveld!

I'd recommend you to test the drive's health and SMART status using your HDD manufacturer's diagnostics tool. You should be able to find it on their website. I'm afraid you might be dealing with some sort of internal damage on the hard drive. I'd suggest you to try connecting it to another computer and see if it will behave the same way. I'd also try it in a dock station and troubleshoot it from there, since the PC is unable to boot when connected internally via SATA.

Good luck! Let me know what the SMART results say though! :)
SuperSoph_WD

May 18, 2015

Hi SuperSoph_WD,

thanks for assisting. tried in another pc but no luck, exactly the same results. Dock station, I am not sure, I don't own one and tried at a friend, it only picked up the 746GB after I formatted it. before that it only recorded as raw drive, no size stated. will try the diagnostics tools from Seagate and post back tomorrow.

thank you
Wayne