[SOLVED] 3x8gb ram dual channel?

Patrickibsen

Reputable
Jan 11, 2020
I got 2 old 2133mhz 8gb and i got a cheap 8gb hyperx 2666mhz ram from a friend and wondering if its worth to use all 3 or just keep using the 2x8gb

Solution
That's Flex channel. What'll happen is you'll be running all sticks at 2133, the cpu will use the 16Gb dual channel as primary and if that gets used up will chase with the 8Gb in single channel.

So unless you use something that's so ram heavy that it goes beyond 16Gb of usage, there's 0 benefit to having the extra 8Gb in a slower configuration and the drawback of additional strain on the memory controller.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could but often having ram with different speed/timings in PC can cause errors.

It wouldn't be dual channel, the other ram would be in a channel by itself.

unless you need 24gb, I would just stick with what you have.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's Flex channel. What'll happen is you'll be running all sticks at 2133, the cpu will use the 16Gb dual channel as primary and if that gets used up will chase with the 8Gb in single channel.

So unless you use something that's so ram heavy that it goes beyond 16Gb of usage, there's 0 benefit to having the extra 8Gb in a slower configuration and the drawback of additional strain on the memory controller.

Solution