Question 4 beeps but PC starts ?

Aug 8, 2022
For like a year si have just a concern about my pc. I had an rtx 3070 and updated to a 3080 but after I installed it i get short 4 beeps everytime i start up the computer following a 1 short beep as if the PC finished POST and my PC starts up i have no issues whats so ever but im still concerned as beeps can be always a warning. I was looking here in the forums also looked up what 4 beeps mean. The question is how can i test if it is Ram or motherboard? I already tried resetting CMOS i also reset Bios to default and also i updated BIOS but nothing of this works, i tried to use only 1 RAM instead of 2, i reseated to other slots but nothing changed. When i do not have RAMs in the slot i hear no beeping but also pc wont start. Does that mean its Ram issue or motherboard?

Help me out pls.

For like a year si have just a concern about my pc. I had an rtx 3070 and updated to a 3080 after I installed it i get short 4 beeps everytime i start up the computer following a 1 short beep as if the PC finished POST and my PC starts up i have no issues whats so ever but im still concerned as beeps can be always a warning. I was looking here in the forums also looked up what 4 beeps mean. The question is how can i test if it is Ram or motherboard? I already tried resetting CMOS i also reset Bios to default and also i updated BIOS but nothing of this works, i tried to use only 1 RAM instead of 2, i reseated to other slots but nothing changed. When i do not have RAMs in the slot i hear no beeping but also pc wont start. Does that mean its Ram issue or motherboard?

Help me out pls.
pc full specs?

For like a year si have just a concern about my pc. I had an rtx 3070 and updated to a 3080 after I installed it i get short 4 beeps everytime i start up the computer following a 1 short beep as if the PC finished POST and my PC starts up i have no issues whats so ever but im still concerned as beeps can be always a warning. I was looking here in the forums also looked up what 4 beeps mean. The question is how can i test if it is Ram or motherboard? I already tried resetting CMOS i also reset Bios to default and also i updated BIOS but nothing of this works, i tried to use only 1 RAM instead of 2, i reseated to other slots but nothing changed. When i do not have RAMs in the slot i hear no beeping but also pc wont start. Does that mean its Ram issue or motherboard?

Help me out pls.
It may depend on which AMI BIOS your board uses: 4 short beeps can also mean there's an issue with the board timer or real-time-clock while memory failure is 3 short beeps. RTC clock failure (alone) normally wouldn't stop boot up.

Initially the real time clock will be off so time won't be correct but Windows will poll an internet time source and set correct time for the session (assuming you set your time zone in Windows date/time settings). That's probably why you haven't noticed it.

RTC clock and timer failure usually means the coin cell battery is discharged or low. Try replacing that.

If it IS memory it could simply mean the CPU isn't able to start with memory settings it has and, instead, is simply starting in a default configuration. Try resetting CMOS with a battery pull to see if the beeping stops.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
If your board uses an AMI BIOS 4 short beeps means there's an issue with the board timer or real-time-clock; memory failure is 3 short beeps. RTC clock failure (alone) normally wouldn't stop boot up.

Initially the real time clock will be off so time won't be correct but Windows will poll an internet time source and set correct time for the session (assuming you set your time zone in Windows date/time settings). That's probably why you haven't noticed it.

RTC clock and timer failure usually means the coin cell battery is discharged. Try replacing that.
So you saying the small rounded battery needs to be replaced maybe?

So you saying the small rounded battery needs to be replaced maybe?
maybe...as I added (i tend to edit after first post :) ) it can depend on which AMI bios your board uses. It won't hurt to replace battery anyway (they're cheap). And leaving it out for a half hour or so while going to store to buy a new one will give CMOS a chance to reset. So you'll fix the two most likely possibilities in one go!

Aug 8, 2022
maybe...as I added (i tend to edit after first post :) ) it can depend on which AMI bios your board uses. It won't hurt to replace battery anyway (they're cheap). And leaving it out for a half hour or so while going to store to buy a new one will give CMOS a chance to reset. So you'll fix the two most likely possibilities in one go!
Okey and in case it isnt the problem, next would be what? To test new RAMs probably?

Okey and in case it isnt the problem, next would be what? To test new RAMs probably?
It sounds like you've tried each DRAM in each DIMM socket separately with similar 4-beep results. It's really and truly rare to have two DIMM's go bad simultaneously. But then operate perfectly normally (no BSOD's, I'm assuming) after starting Windows? really rare.

For a CPU's IMC to be defective is rare...and even MORE rare for both channels to be defective. And then same super-rareness for it to operate normally after starting Windows anyway.

I suppose it COULD be a defective motherboard VRM (the one that furnishes power for the memory DIMM's), but why would it operate perfectly well?

Right now, it's speculative. I say replace the CMOS battery with a new one, leaving it out at least a half hour with system disconnected from the wall outlet, then see what happens.

Aug 8, 2022
It sounds like you've tried each DRAM in each DIMM socket separately with similar 4-beep results. It's really and truly rare to have two DIMM's go bad simultaneously. But then operate perfectly normally (no BSOD's, I'm assuming) after starting Windows? really rare.

For a CPU's IMC to be defective is rare...and even MORE rare for both channels to be defective. And then same super-rareness for it to operate normally after starting Windows anyway.

I suppose it COULD be a defective motherboard VRM (the one that furnishes power for the memory DIMM's), but why would it operate perfectly well?

Right now, it's speculative. I say replace the CMOS battery with a new one, leaving it out at least a half hour with system disconnected from the wall outlet, then see what happens.
Okey will do and yes i tried every slot and every one gave the same result with beeping and exactly as you were thinking why would it work perfectly. And start up.

Same with the the windows starting up. Actually ive never encountered BSODs.

Only what im questioning is it was after replacing/upgrading to rtx 3080 from 3070. I was thinking could it be because of not so powerfull PSU. Im using 650W PSU but should use 750W

DSzymborski

Titan
Okey will do and yes i tried every slot and every one gave the same result with beeping and exactly as you were thinking why would it work perfectly. And start up.

Same with the the windows starting up. Actually ive never encountered BSODs.

Only what im questioning is it was after replacing/upgrading to rtx 3080 from 3070. I was thinking could it be because of not so powerfull PSU. Im using 650W PSU but should use 750W

Then, can you provide the rest of your specs, including exact PSU? You only provided the CPU, GPU, OS, and RAM rather than the full specs. Incomplete information can result in incomplete analysis!

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Post your PSU brand/model (at least) and let the PSU gurus pass judgment.

BUT...power-on current needs may be a bit higher than normal operation, mainly because the OS isn't loaded so no power management is active. But a GPU's power draw isn't going to be meltingly hot until you put it in 3D mode and start rendering frames in a game at a high rate...or doing some intense GPU compute work. It doesn't do that at startup, only in a game or in the GPU compute application. So I'm not sure the PSU could be the cause of 4 beeps even if it's not adequate for the GPU.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
Then, can you provide the rest of your specs, including exact PSU? You only provided the CPU, GPU, OS, and RAM rather than the full specs. Incomplete information can result in incomplete analysis!
Yes sure sorry for that so i will do a full Pc specs

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

GPU :Nvidia Evga Geforce RTX 3080

RAM : 16GB ( HyperX 16GB KIT DDR4 3333MHz CL16 Predator Series)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE

PSU : FSP Fortron Hexa 85+ 650

Should be all needed if you need more i will include it

Sorry once again

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
Post your PSU brand/model (at least) and let the PSU gurus pass judgment.

BUT...power-on current needs may be a bit higher than normal operation, mainly because the OS isn't loaded so no power management is active. But a GPU's power draw isn't going to be meltingly hot until you put it in 3D mode and start rendering frames in a game at a high rate...or doing some intense GPU compute work. It doesn't do that at startup, only in a game or in the GPU compute application. So I'm not sure the PSU could be the cause of 4 beeps even if it's not adequate for the GPU.
This was just a tought because it all occured after the upgrade, before that i didnt hear any beeping.

I do not know if it helps but as im saying im hearing for beeps and then after a pause one same beep followed so it goes like this: really fast beepbeepbeepbeep then a bit of pause and another short beep.

In case that helps 😄

Aug 8, 2022

Hi so I chamged the battery of the CMOS PC was disconnected without the old battery for 2 hours as i went to the gym. But i get same beeps as before. When i turned the pc on i heard 4 short beeps continuing with after a pause another short beep which indicated probably system POST but then he restarted and done the same sequence once again then he started up and im not back in the OS so pc works fine just the beeps didnt disappear.

Any clues?

Unplug unneeded USB devices and see if beeps stay the same or change.
One of my wife's computer has a gigabyte board and it beeps once for each connected USB device(Very low volume) and then post beeps(higher volume) and always starts normally.
Also my Asus M5A97 did the same.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Will probably need at least two USB devices, one keyboard one mouse. So two beeps this time if that's it?

Other things to try, and to consider:

Can you set your RAM's XMP profile and it boots OK (aside from the beeps at startup), with the memory operating at it's XMP clock speed?

At this point, if you have access to some other memory you might try that too. Be sure to reset CMOS whenever you swap memory DIMM's.

The same with your PSU, since you're worried about it. BTW...yours is completely unfamiliar to me and probably not sold in the North American market, at least not as that model, since I can't even Google up a review.

Is it very old? that could be a clue it needs upgrading: modern PSU designs dedicate more of the available power to the +12V rails and other basic changes needed to handle the extremely high and rapidly fluctuating power demands of modern GPU's and CPU's. We could be completely wrong about the beep codes (Gigabyte is known to use their own) so it is possible it's originating from a PSU issue.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
So i took the GPU out and once i turned the PC back on the 4 short beeps were gona and i had an 1 long beep and 2 short indicating theres either no video card and or problem with video card which is pretty strange. Only what im assuming is the beeps are because i use a 650W PSU instead of a 750W which is recommended for the GPU. Seems like the beeps indicate it has low wattage and maybe it POSTs normally but has problems at first

Aug 8, 2022
Will probably need at least two USB devices, one keyboard one mouse. So two beeps this time if that's it?

Other things to try, and to consider:

Can you set your RAM's XMP profile and it boots OK (aside from the beeps at startup), with the memory operating at it's XMP clock speed?

At this point, if you have access to some other memory you might try that too. Be sure to reset CMOS whenever you swap memory DIMM's.

The same with your PSU, since you're worried about it. BTW...yours is completely unfamiliar to me and probably not sold in the North American market, at least not as that model, since I can't even Google up a review.

Is it very old? that could be a clue it needs upgrading: modern PSU designs dedicate more of the available power to the +12V rails and other basic changes needed to handle the extremely high and rapidly fluctuating power demands of modern GPU's and CPU's. We could be completely wrong about the beep codes (Gigabyte is known to use their own) so it is possible it's originating from a PSU issue.
as mentioned below it probably is the PSU. it was bought as i bought the rtx 2070 so like 4 - 5 years ago, will give it a try. And also yes i set my Ram to XMP and it booted normally but still with those 4 beeps at the start.

....And also yes i set my Ram to XMP and it booted normally but still with those 4 beeps at the start.
It's possible that a CPU fails to initialize memory at the XMP speed, when that happens it throws the POST error then drops speed to default DDR4 speed (2133 or 2400 usually) but still boots. So just booting isn't enough it has to be actually running at the XMP clock speed.

4 or 5 years isn't that old if it's a decent PSU. I know FSP is OEM for many other other brands, many which are excellent...but some not so much. The better PSU's carry up to 10 year warranties. I just don't know where this Hexa falls in the quality spectrum. Being 650W alone isn't enough to cause boot faulting even for a 3080...there'd have to be something more going on like the PSU is borderline defective anyway. There's also no way for the GPU or CPU to know what the PSU's power rating is to make a decision that it's rated lower than the GPU's recommendation.

Does your 3080 have three 8 pin power connectors? are all three being used?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
It's possible that a CPU fails to initialize memory at the XMP speed, when that happens it throws the POST error then drops speed to default DDR4 speed (2133 or 2400 usually) but still boots. So just booting isn't enough it has to be actually running at the XMP clock speed.

4 or 5 years isn't that old if it's a decent PSU. I know FSP is OEM for many other other brands, many which are excellent...but some not so much. The better PSU's carry up to 10 year warranties. I just don't know where this Hexa falls in the quality spectrum. Being 650W alone isn't enough to cause boot faulting even for a 3080...there'd have to be something more going on like the PSU is borderline defective anyway. There's also no way for the GPU or CPU to know what the PSU's power rating is to make a decision that it's rated lower than the GPU's recommendation.

Yes it has three 8 oin power connectors all are connected with 6+2 pins.

About the XMP well i do not know if thats the case as i also had my XMP disabled and it did the same.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
So I finally got it working. After searching huge times on the internet i talked to my brother and he was like ,,did you try searching for rtx 3080 4beeps,, i was like isnt it pretty weird as you clearly have the beeps from a motherboard? But I gave a shot and you know he was right. People reported and even Evga and other Companies actually reported this issue. You have to go to BIOS and change CMS from Enabled to disabled. Probably CMS does something with the rtx 3080 to OC and because of that those beeps came but no one knows why it just has probably some problem and the beeps are just like a initializing thing so because of that it actually POSTs but has some problems at first. After Disabling the CMS in Bios i hear only 1 beep which means the POST was succesfull.

Thanks from all for your effort :) Hopefully this thread if someone didnt actually already post similiar problem will help others.

Reactions: Simon12345

DSzymborski

Titan
So I finally got it working. After searching huge times on the internet i talked to my brother and he was like ,,did you try searching for rtx 3080 4beeps,, i was like isnt it pretty weird as you clearly have the beeps from a motherboard? But I gave a shot and you know he was right. People reported and even Evga and other Companies actually reported this issue. You have to go to BIOS and change CMS from Enabled to disabled. Probably CMS does something with the rtx 3080 to OC and because of that those beeps came but no one knows why it just has probably some problem and the beeps are just like a initializing thing so because of that it actually POSTs but has some problems at first. After Disabling the CMS in Bios i hear only 1 beep which means the POST was succesfull.

Thanks from all for your effort :) Hopefully this thread if someone didnt actually already post similiar problem will help others.

I should note that you should still really replace the PSU. It is not a good pairing with a 3080 and you're simply begging for more serious trouble if you keep using it.

Nov 25, 2022
You rock!;)

had the exact same issue (also RTX3080) for quite a while. Everything is working fine but those 4 beeps were still annoying. Disabling CMS and the beeps are gone.
For me however the RTX3080 was in there from the beginning and at that time there were no beeps. Started some months ago all of a sudden.

TRENDING THREADS